I'm not in a bad mood.
We have a children's book called "My Many Colored Days." On the cover it says it is by Dr. Seuss, though it is not. How this is not worthy of a lawsuit and this is, I do not know. It's a nice book which describes how different days can be blue, orange, pink or grey (or gray), depending on our moods and feelings. A very important message for impressionable young minds.
I don't have many colored days. I'm a monochrome, even-keeled guy. But if I did have many colored days, today would probably be gr(e/a)y-ish.
Tonight Michelle and I had our weekly conversation about how frustrating it is to go to church. It isn't really possible to participate in worship as a parent of a toddler at Solomon's Porch. Any parent there will tell you this. The Porch aspires to have children of all ages participate together in whatever way is appropriate for them. This is a wonderful idea, and one that probably did not come from a parent of small children.
This week Michelle's mother came to church with us for the sole purpose of chasing after Toby. Toby's age-appropriate form of worship is to run around, smile at everybody, and breathe into as many communion glasses as possible. He's also learned how to operate the water cooler. Having Granny at church was wonderful. Michelle was able to participate fully in the gathering and not worry about her boy.
However, her reaction to having found this solution turns out to be more frustration. In a nutshell, her outcry is that she shouldn't have to drag her mother to church or leave Toby with a babysitter in order to worship. Why can't there be a church where both she and Toby can have a fulfilling experience?
Of course there are several. And here is where the polyurethane meets the asphalt, to butcher a figure of speech. Michelle knows that I won't let us leave Solomon's Porch, which is exactly why she feels so free to express her frustration. She doesn't really want to leave either, but a goodly number of former Porchers have. I suppose the 'former' would be redundant.
So that's where we end up, again. I'll let you know if we get any further next Monday.
I guess the only acceptable answer would be a room where toddlers could play during the entire gathering time, not just the sermon, and which was not audibly at one with the gathering space. Maybe if more warm bodies volunteered (hint hint) to help in the children's program, we could make that happen. I don't know.
So after we talked about that we went to the YMCA and worked out, which is a good thing. I lifted weights though, which I don't really enjoy. I only do it when the gym is too crowded to shoot hoops, which is often. I understand some people enjoy it, but I can't fathom it. Kind of like intelligent, right-thinking people voting Republican, I know it happens; it's just a little beyond my comprehension.
So I'm left a little blah. But I'm not in a bad mood. I don't have those.


6 Comments:
Josh-
You bring up a subject that I'm sure has been swished around like mouthwash by many at the Porch...
Maybe I'm just overly simplistic (I never was great at math), but what if everyone that sent little ones to the nursery room was required to volunteer to work there? Wouldn't that mean that there would always be some parent available to serve?
Vic
Hey Victor. Yeah, that suggestion has been made before. It's reasonable, and in fact parents are a large percentage of the people who do volunteer. But I would counter with two things...
a) Since parents are the ones who look after them the other 167 hours of the week, should they really be the ones we demand the services of? This whole thing is kind of about them wanting to be a part of the gatherings as much as everyone else.
2) Watching or teaching the kids once every six weeks is actually quite a blessing, and usually much more so for those who don't have kids of their own. After all, us parents watch each others' kids all the time anyway.
And maybe iii) If you're required to volunteer, it's not actually volunteering, is it?
Please don't. Was it the 'kids are a blessing' crap or the 'give us a break, we watch them all the time' whine?
Are you saying that people have left the church because, like Michelle, they can't worship and have their own kids running around/cryinig/whatever simultaneously? If that is the case, then maybe we need to rethink the value of having kids running around during the service (or do we just say that those people didn't get it?). There's a place for redefining worship (including interruptions, the unexpected, etc.), but also a place for discussing how people experience the gathering. I'm also thinking that once the Paris twins start squawking and crying and running in two different directions, that may just push everyone over the edge anyway. Maybe my children will inspire the construction of a large sound-proof cage that can contain all children.
Hey, I must be doing something right! Thanks for the input everybody.
Jenell: Maybe it's not as common knowledge as I thought, but yeah, families leave Solomon's Porch with some regularity when their kids are between 1 and 3. It's just the most difficult age for our particular arrangement. I think our kids' program has made light years of improvement since the Hodgkins and Rolands left, but sometimes the traditional approach of other churches is very appealing.
Colleen: I apologize. I certainly had no intention to hearken back to anything so ignorant and assuming. I was just trying to represent what I've heard from people like Matt Henry and Janelle Nelson; I should have said 'for some people.' And I neither mentioned nor intended a specific gender.
To answer your questions, kids over 18 months start downstairs. Of course this isn't a hard and fast rule, but the activities aren't as appropriate for Toby. Same goes for the 'toddler room' upstairs; crayons and sandboxes are scary things for parents of one year olds. There's a room upstairs for Toby's age, but it's not staffed and the kids can see and hear everything going on, which means they won't tolerate being shut away from it.
Amen to your last paragraph.
This is a rather timely post, Josh, as Jeff and I have been discussing this very issue. I'd comment here, but I think I have too much to say, so I'm going to blog it.
Congratulations, you've actually motivated me to blog...I thought that was impossible ;)
Post a Comment
<< Home