1.28.2006

Bitching


I think I'm going to have to admit to myself that I like puns. I still think of them as the one-legged puppy of the humor kingdom that would be put out of its misery if it wasn't so damn cute. But if I'm honest with myself, I know I use them a lot. And they can really crack me up, if they're clever. You know, like if you exit a building through the door that says IN rather than the door that says OUT, and you say, "I'm just not the outdoor type."

Sigh.

Anyway, yeah. Bottles suck. We want to put this sign up at Alicia's station, because of all the people who have told us that nurses gave their babies bottles without asking the parents, or even after the parents had told them not to. Doctors and nurses don't seem to give much credit to the horror stories of babies who drink from a bottle once and will never take the breast again. Which I wouldn't blame them for so much if it wasn't universally true in every case I've ever heard of.

Sigh.

So we made this sign and brought it in, and one of the nurses (not Alicia's nurse, just a random nurse who happened to be sitting nearby) suggested that maybe we not put it up because it might offend other parents whose kids were using bottles.

Now, it's not that I think her point is entirely ridiculous. Just mostly. And it's not that it didn't even seem to cross her mind that the sign was intended as humor. It's more that we've had about a hundred different nurses in two months, and we still have to meet a new one just about every frickin' day, and about two thirds of them seem to automatically and adamantly resist any input into her care we try to offer.

Now I know that that wasn't this particular nurse's motivation or even intention. But it fits into a pattern. Michelle has been at Alicia's bedside for two or three hours every single day since the day she was born (Alicia, not Michelle), and she still gets treated like she doesn't know what's best for her baby (Michelle, not Alicia. Stupid pronouns.).

Maybe if there were only, say, a dozen nurses who rotated taking care of Alicia, Michelle wouldn't have to struggle to get her questions answered instead of brushed off. Even twenty. Maybe then Michelle wouldn't have to snap at a nurse to get her to leave her alone and let her cry when she needs to cry.

I have more complaints about NICU, but maybe I should organize them into a more well-thought-out post. Right now I'm just bitching. Oh, and guess what? This is just about the best damn NICU in the country, and we know it. Separate parents from their baby, put them under a great deal of stress, and they'll whine about perfection.

Speaking of which, our friends are wonderful. But we'd like them to please stop telling us that it's almost over. Or that we're nearly at the end. Or that Alicia will be as big as Toby before we know it. Not helping. We don't need you to make this seem easier than it is, we just need you to be with us in it.

For now, I'll just wrap up this shiny happy post with a run-down of Alicia's last couple days. She got three immunizations yesterday, and within 24 hours had gone from being on the nasal canula, having very few spells, to back on the CPAP and having a heck of a lot of spells. She seems to be evening out now and her bloodwork was negative for infection, so we'll wait and see. But guess what? She's out of her box and in a crib. A regular old white crib with bars and everything! Sorry, we forgot the camera today. Maybe tomorrow.

3 Comments:

At 1:52 AM, January 29, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A REAL CRIB! Wahoo!

Excellent.... Way to go Alicia.

 
At 9:06 AM, January 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I've been keeping up with your blog and thinking of you. I know we don't know each other, but I want to offer my support, even if it's just over the computer. Reading it brings back so many feelings that I had forgotten about, such as being so frustrated with some of the nurses. Be assured, no matter what they say, YOU, (not the nurses or docs)know your child best. I get so angry when I remember feeling like someone else was trying to take over my role as mother of my child. Hang in there. It's is not an easy world to live in. I don't think anyone can really understand it until your living it day in and day out.

Also, I resonate with your feelings about friends, etc. Sometimes it is more helpful just to have someone sit with you and be there. Its really quite simple. Words are not needed. If there is one thing I wish people (friends) understood while my own son was in the NICU, it is that any setback with your child (no matter how insignificant you might think it it) is HUGE. It really is.
Anyway, sorry to go on and on. Know that you are in our thoughts and prayers. You are doing a great job of handling an extremely difficult situation. And great job telling people what you really need from them. Hopefully most people will see that it's really not about them. It's about what you need and how they can help provide that for you.
Peace, Kirsten Buck
www.godhearssam.blogspot.com

 
At 9:22 AM, January 30, 2006, Blogger Josh Fuller said...

Thank you Kirsten. By the way, your son's name looks very spiffy in my blogroll...hope you approve. Michelle has been reading your blog from the beginning and is very encouraged by Sam's story.

We love our friends (online and otherwise) and are thankful for every single thing they do or say. We know they want to know how to encourage us, so we occasionally offer advice to that end. We hope these comments will be taken in the spirit they were intended. And of course, the sort of encouragement we described has been extremely common lately...nearly everyone we know has said something like that to us. We certainly weren't thinking of anyone in particular when we wrote it. We need all the support we can get in whatever form it comes in...we're not trying to be selective!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home