1.12.2006

That other guy what blogs on here sometime...

I just got back from seeing Alicia. Michelle and Toby are fast asleep.

It appears as though I've only written once in the last couple weeks, to Michelle's four heartfelt posts. I like that Michelle is writing more about Alicia, since she does it so much better than I. She tells you what you want to know about how she's doing. She tells you what it feels like to be going through this. I, invariably, tell you she's doing "fine."

Some have suggested that I'm just a little more reserved in discussing my feelings about this experience. Sadly, they are wrong. My feelings really are that boring. It's fine, we're okay, I'm good, we're getting through it, blah etcetera blah. Occasionally I have a somewhat trying day and feel the stress seeping through. And of course I'm glad when Alicia shows improvement. But these are comparatively small blips on my even-keel monitor.

You know you're a parent of a preemie when your metaphors have to do with NICU equipment.

Today was one of the somewhat trying days, at least the early evening part. Over the course of dinner, cleaning up, trying to read to Michelle while Toby yelled off some energy, and putting Toby to bed, I found myself feeling a little burned out and frustrated. Michelle was understanding if inquistive (this is a rare occurrence, remember). Once Toby was out, I was able to read to her a little more without interruptions. This is very relaxing for me. Then I said goodnight and went to the hospital.

This too is usually good for me. Alicia continues to breathe well, and it's wonderful to see her when she's on the nasal canula. She really looks so beautiful now. And normal. Today she was awake, rolling her big, black eyes, and squeezing my finger. She knows just how to make Daddy feel better.

Michelle wishes me to report that her own stress level has been lower the last few days. Thanks for your prayers. And Toby is pretty much back to his old outgoing, secure, fun-loving self. He's trying to convince us he doesn't need naps anymore. And saying "Have [a good] Day!" when I leave in the morning, and "Thank you" when he's given a cup of milk. So he too is a frequent bringer of smiles to my face. Come to think of it, pretty much every member of my family just makes my life more and more wonderful. We're a lucky few who can say that.

2 Comments:

At 5:23 AM, January 13, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish not approve on it. I assume warm-hearted post. Particularly the appellation attracted me to read the unscathed story.

 
At 2:54 AM, January 17, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you as your information.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home