Happy Canada Day
Today is Canada's version of Independence Day, if you will, only Canada's definition of Independence is slightly different than the American one...
In·de·pen·dence (noun)
Canadian: "We'll just be over here on this other continent if that's alright. Don't hesitate to give us a ring if you need anything."
American: "We don't ever have to do anything you say ever again, you prissy tea-drinking has-beens!"
Anyway, we call it Canada Day and we don't get quite as excited about it. We mostly just like to take a day off work (which was probably yesterday) and relax. Much like Thanksgiving, we just want to get our merrymaking quietly out of the way so that we won't interfere with the bigger and better American version. Fireworks are sometimes involved, but not to the Do-It-Yourself extent that they are here in the US. I must say, the fireworks industry is second only to those magnet people when it comes to profiting from patriotism. Both have managed to convince Americans that buying their product is somehow showing support for a country, rather than simply making a few very rich people richer, like everything else we buy.
I was just about to say something along the lines of how I fail to see the connection between explosives and independence, but unfortunately I think I see it all too well. So I better just drop it and wish everybody a happy 4th. But just for today, I'm putting in my Tragically Hip CDs and drinking some Molson Canadian. Beauty, eh?


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home