Happy Anniversary
Today is the sixth anniversary of Joshua and Michelle Fuller. I mostly think about last year. Last year, the 24th was Thanksgiving. I was in the hospital. Had been for 18 days. I had no idea how much longer I would be. I was afraid of Alicia being born imminently, but also afraid of being in the hospital for three months. Without my son. Five of my six parents brought Thanksgiving to the hospital last year. It wasn't just food for me; the whole family sat down and ate the meal together. In the hospital. Josh's mom was visiting, so Josh got to spend the night in my room. It was so funny. My own husband, visiting my "house."
This year Josh left the house at 6:30am to go splurge on toys at Creative Kidstuff. Then he worked from home the rest of the day. I took Alicia grocery shopping, and then to the chiropractor. He decided that she finally needs antibiotics for the ear infection she's had for three weeks now. Then Josh and I went to dinner. Upon coming home, I feed Alicia and took her to urgent care. Josh is now out getting the meds. Let's hope Alicia will agree to swallow them. She threw up when we gave her Tylenol.
I'd like to tell you what a wonderful husband I have, but the funny thing is, he's already told you himself. The ego that told you all that, is, however, just a front. He never assumes that he's better than others. The very first thing I liked about Joshua, was that he was the first person who treated me like a true equal. I remember one day Josh and I were arguing about whether one person was more intelligent than another. The same day at lunch someone asked a fellow student how to spell Wisconsin, his own state. And he couldn't. I felt that won the argument for me.
My dear husband has never said a derogatory thing to or about me. I really can't recall one. I also really can't say the same thing about myself. I'm sorry, my dear.
Since marrying Joshua, I have become far more patient, far more confident, and far more happy. I think says a lot about the quality of person that I live with.
Since marrying me, Joshua has become far more understanding of people and emotion, thus more compassionate as well. My husband is willing to grow, and learn, and struggle.
In the last year, Josh has carried me. I went to the hospital daily for three and a half months. I gave everything that I could to my Toby and my Alicia. I really gave all of it and had nothing left for any other facet of life. I needed to do that. It was good for my motherhood. I couldn't have sustained my children without my husband sustaining me. Josh took over. In normal life, I run the house and Josh used to be quite incompetent. Last winter, Josh really took over. We didn't deal with or react to the situation in the same ways, but we respected each other's emotions and needs. Oh, my Joshua, thank you for helping me be the mother that I wanted to be.
Thank you for being my husband, my Joshua.
Oh yes. I want to ask you to punctuate this. It's a little English teachers' trick.
a woman without her man is nothing


5 Comments:
A woman--without her--man is nothing. Or...
A woman, without her, man is nothing.
Happy Anniversary!
Only one attempt? Come one, people. There are a few options. Rachel's are nice.
A woman: without her, man is nothing.
Or if you'd rather be less pc,
A woman without her man is nothing.
Is that less PC or an equal measure of un-PC-ness?
You don't have double standards in Australia, Dan?
We sure do. There is something mildly ironic about having double standards on an issue like equality.
Post a Comment
<< Home