11.20.2005

Posting From the Inside

I'm writing this post from Michelle's hospital room, on a laptop on loan to us from Rachel. It's a Mac; I don't know if they call it an iBook or an iLap or what it iS. But it's very cool to have it. Maybe Michelle will get on here and post some of her own thoughts. Or maybe she'll just play Diamond Mine with it all day.

I spent the night here, on an uncomfortable pull-out bed which is really pretty nice. I mean, an uncomfortable bed is automatically a step up from a comfortable couch, isn't it? The room Michelle is in is really remarkable. Fridge, microwave, stereo, TV/VCR, lots of space, and a bed for the husband. Last night was wonderful. We cuddled, ate popcorn, beheld the joy and wonder that is early Johnny Depp, and just laid next to each other until we were almost asleep. Heaven. We could almost forget we were in a hospital.

As usual, I'm incapable of sleeping in. Michelle is still snoozing while I try to guess where the Ctrl key might be in the dark. The amusing part is, I can't be sure this thing even has a Ctrl key, or if it does, whether Ctrl+Z or Ctrl+N will do what I expect them to do. It took me long enough just to get the plus signs in the previous sentence. I've always been a big user of keyboard shortcuts. The lack of a mouse hasn't bothered me at all, but if I can't pop up a new window with a quick stroke of my hand, how am I going to cut and paste the URLs I want to link to? I'm thinking I'll go back and put in the links later. At least when I can see.

My mother will be here with Toby later this morning. It's been great having her stay with us. I was able to go play poker on Friday night, once again exercising my uncanny talent for always finishing in the highest place which doesn't pay any money. 3rd of 9, in this case. But it was a pleasure to lose to two fellow Canadians. They are certainly welcome to our next game, at my house on December 9th. What was I talking about? My mom, I think. Yeah, great to have her visiting. Toby certainly enjoys her, and it's been good catching up. Yesterday she went shopping and bought a bunch of Christmas gifts for Toby. What a lucky kid. The only drawback so far has been her remarkably consistent habit of leaving twenty or thirty seconds left on the microwave, so that I always have to hit Cancel to see what time it is. I can learn to live with that.

2 Comments:

At 1:29 PM, November 20, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you got the PowerBook hooked up to the internet! Tell Michelle that popcap.com has lots of great games. She'd probably like Bookworm.

 
At 9:05 PM, November 20, 2005, Blogger A Viewpoint From Victor said...

Josh-

I have some mp3 files and earplugs if Michelle needs any music to "get her groove on" while she's waiting for Ms. A. to arrive. Just let me know...

Victor

 

<< Home