8.21.2006

Behind the Blog

A post of random fun facts about this blog and its keeper.

1. Just as I pushed "Post" on the previous entry, a wasp stung me on the foot. Honestly. It was crawling around on my floor. I don't know why.

2. The number of quotes which randomly cycle at the top of the page is now up to 57. They range from the mundane to the mystical, their sources from Victorian to virtual (Louis Neprud is an invention of The Onion). Send me your favorite quote and I might add it.

3. Toby has slept soundly through both nights since the last post.

4. Dinner tonight was grilled Alaskan cod with couscous. Not strictly relevant, but it was damn good and I'll brag about it on my blog if I want.

5. Today I was driving behind a motorcyclist (don't get me started) in the left lane on 694. He very consistently rode along about 18 inches from the dotted line which separated the two lanes; in other words, the position he occupied in our lane was like so:

|______*_|

I see this all the time. So, in a genuine effort to use the internet for the furthering of understanding and mutual respect, I am putting all sarcasm aside and asking honestly and sincerely: Someone who rides a motorcycle, please explain this to me. So many of you do it, and so invariably. Is there a reason?

I'm not even going to ask about not wearing helmets; you're all just completely loony there.

6. Michelle and Alicia are back tomorrow night. With pictures!

5 Comments:

At 6:28 PM, August 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melinda and I had a great time with Alicia and Michelle! Look forward to seeing the whole family over Christmas a possibly sooner. We missed you guys- Toby and Josh!

To bad, the couscous dish sounds good. I'll look forward to eating chez Joshua la prochaine fois.

 
At 7:03 PM, August 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Josh - I used to ride when I was a young fella in Australia.

We were taught to ride there for 2 main reasons:

1). Best place to be seen by rear vision mirrors
2). If you ride in the tire treads that cars wear, you are less likely to slide in all the oil, antifreeze (really low co-efficient of friction) and other crap that cars drop in the middle of the lane as they drive.

There are probably other reasons too but I can't remember them.

 
At 8:43 PM, August 21, 2006, Blogger Josh Fuller said...

Simon, I think we have just single(double?)handedly redeemed the internet. That's exactly the kind of information I was looking for...thank you.

Although I'm not sure I see how the first one could be true. Side mirrors, maybe. And just by way of rebuttal,

1). It makes me really nervous because it looks like you're about to change lanes. Into an SUV.
2). Couldn't they at least ride on the side away from traffic? If they're not in the middle lane?

 
At 12:26 PM, August 22, 2006, Blogger Kira said...

My contribution for #2: "Many is the man who thinks he has an open mind when it is merely vacant" -- Annonymous

 
At 5:30 PM, August 24, 2006, Blogger Brad said...

Springboarding off your "redeeming the internet" link and into the arms of your request for quotes:

"Oh boy, liver! Iron helps us play!"
-Rod and Todd Flanders

 

Post a Comment

<< Home