This ever-changing world in which we live in
I heard "Live and Let Die" on the radio the other day (yes, of course it was the GNR cover; how old do you think I am?). Obviously I'd likely be the 69875th person to make fun of Paul's redundant grammar if I were to say something like "I've heard of repetition as a poetic device, but prepositions?" so I'll let it go. It's still a good song.
And while I'm on music, damn, Thornley rocks. And he's Canadian. I was a big fan of his earlier band, Big Wreck, which you've never heard of, you small-minded American. But his solo album is so good it makes me want to use tired adjectives like awesome, killer, or kick-ass. I'll settle for mind-blowing and move on.
Next up on today's menu is a small helping of humble pie. Pertaining to my post of 8 days ago, it has been pointed out to me that if I'm going to bitch and moan about praise songs that focus on 'I' and 'me' and how I'm so important to God, I should probably rip about 87% of the Psalms out of my Bible. I'm reluctant to do this, so I'll shut up and deal with it.
Now back to my regularly scheduled meaningless pontification.
I like words and figures of speech and etymology and such. That's not why I married an English teacher and linguistics enthusiast (I'm not a polygamist; she's both), but we do have more conversations about grammar than most couples. Sometimes she'll tell me about a concept she was trying to get across to her class, or I'll ask her why clichély isn't a word (adverb, behaving in the manner of something which is cliché), and a long discussion will ensue which neither of us could have ever had with anyone else without boring them to death. Or sometimes we'll just laugh at someone who used the wrong 'there', and that's good too.
She also enjoys/tolerates my sense of humor, which in writing is overly dependent on an arcane vocabulary and compound sentences but in person consists largely of intentionally misunderstanding words and phrases.
INT. CAR - DAY
JOSH and MICHELLE pass a
yard displaying a SIGN
which reads 'MOVING SALE'.
JOSH
Wow. How are we supposed
to find it?
INT. KITCHEN - DAY
KAYLA is telling MICHELLE
about a job application she
recently filled out.
KAYLA
One of the questions was,
Complete this sentence: 'I
sometimes have difficulty
focusing on...'
JOSH
Tuesdays.
You get the idea. These are, for all intents and purposes, puns, but I really don't like most puns. There's a fine line between clever and corny. The title of this blog is a pun, and I'm not sure on which side of the line it truly falls. It's the second of two trustworthy jokes on my name, the first offering itself after any big meal.
INT. DINING ROOM - NIGHT
PERSON WHOSE NAME IS NOT FULLER
Wow, I'm full!
PERSON WHOSE NAME IS FULLER
Oh yeah? Well I'm Fuller!
This is a perfect example of a very bad pun.
So at this point I'm welcoming suggestions for a new title. And I think my next post will have to be about another fun linguistic activity: Coming up with concepts for which there should be a word but isn't.
There should be a word for that.


3 Comments:
I love you very much, my husband.
are you equally bothered by "Love Shack" which begins with a sentence fragment: "If you see a faded sign at the side of the road that says 15 miles to the love Shack!"
Moreso.
Post a Comment
<< Home