10.31.2005

Boo.

What do you get if you measure the circumference of a pumpkin and divide by its diameter?

Happy Halloween, if you're into that sort of thing. Not that I'm not, but I have to agree with Garrison Keillor that Halloween is definitely a Republican holiday. It's all about scaring people half to death and grabbing as much as you can for yourself. Toby's getting into the spooky spirit though, decked out as a tiger this year. He already scored a small stash at the YMCA Halloween party on Thursday, although he was pretty spooked out himself from all the activity and costumes around him. The expression in the second picture is the one he wore without variation the entire time we were there. Tonight we made the rounds to the other three units on our driveway, and he mustered up a few scary roars.

But you want to see something really scary? Go to Google, type in my name (Josh Fuller) and hit "I'm Feeling Lucky."

Welcome back.

I have to admit, I'm a little proud, even though I liked it when this was the top result. And I am in no way responsible for this. I don't googlebomb. I only found out about it at work today because I was testing a web services app using google's api and I put my name in. If that doesn't mean anything to you, don't worry about it. It just means you're not a nerd. But to see a fun example of googlebombing in action, Google "failure" and hit Lucky.

To be honest, the day I enjoy even more than Halloween is the day after Daylight Savings Time ends, which was yesterday. All the fun mental arithmetic you do throughout the day, especially if you have young children... "Okay, Toby woke up at 6:30, which was really 7:30, so he got up early but he actually slept in. And now it's 11, but it's really 12, so he's probably tired, but if he takes a nap now he'll wake up at 2 because it's 3. Then he'll be up until we get home from church at 8, which is 9. Forget about Toby; I need a nap!

Of course the other fun activity is changing all your clocks. Microwave, stove, watch...the VCR and computer look after themselves...and don't forget the thermostat. Otherwise your house will be toasty warm at 5am. And then you get in your car and make it all the way to the highway before you realize you have to fix your car radio clock, which by law is required to be much more difficult to figure out than any other clock you've encountered so far, which makes perfect sense since it's the only one you get to change while traveling 60 mph.

But at least you get an extra hour to sleep. And if you're the literal sort like me, you can even call it a long weekend!

That's all I got. Here are my Must-Click's for this week.

God's Creation Blog

I have to link this song that Rachel found, because it's Simply The Absolute Greatest Thing Of Any Kind Ever.

Oh, and the answer is Pumpkin Pi. Hey, if I didn't make you scream, at least I made you groan.

2 Comments:

At 10:14 AM, November 02, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I rejoiced on Sunday when the time shifted back, because now my car clock is right (well, only 4 minutes off, instead of an hour and 4 minutes). I've only managed to change it successfully once in the 5 years I have the car, so now I just do the mental arithmetic for 6 months.

 
At 10:41 AM, November 02, 2005, Blogger Josh Fuller said...

And thanks to our savvy, innovative president, you can look forward to nearly eight months of mental arithmetic in 2007!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home