3.19.2006

Life after Hospital

I can't believe how quickly I feel so thoroughly better. I'm not who I was before all of this. But this huge Hospital has lifted off of me. I hadn't realized I was carrying that much around. I thought I had moments where I felt as if life were normal and manageable. Wow. I didn't realize how depressed I was. Oh, I feel so good. So relaxed.

Josh and I are both more relaxed about taking care of Alicia than we were with Toby, actually, despite her many meds, alarms, and cords. And Toby is adjusting to having a sister.

My children are so beautiful. And huge! Toby is tall enough to turn lights on and off now. And Alicia has outgrown my favorite outfit from two weeks ago by an inch and a half! Today Toby counted some rings up to five and helped his dad clean the bathroom. Currently he is stealthily trying to fend off some midday sleep. He called out a number of supplications addressing them to "anyone?"

It took a bit out of Alicia to make the move home, but she's doing well now. She's really eating more each day, which is our primary hope.

I can't say I miss having medical staff around all the time. Oh it would drive me nuts when the nurses would tell me that it was okay if Alicia went three or four days between poops! But yesterday morning I did freak out just a tad. I think that Alicia breathed in some of her milk. It sounded like she was breathing through bubbles. I called the nurse and there wasn't anything for us to do about it. By the end of the day she sounded just fine.

So, we are splendidly without event.

Oh. Visitors? Um, we can't have any. It's super important for Alicia to not get sick. We're locked down until at least the end of April. After that we'll see. For the next year it will still be very important to stay away from anyone who is sick.

We miss you.
I'm going to go rescue my nonsleeping child now.

4 Comments:

At 7:23 PM, March 19, 2006, Blogger Jasmine said...

Michelle,

That's awesome that you are adjusting to being home with Alicia. I am so happy for you.

Dr. Perdue is going to let Spencer start trying to bottle tomorrow.

Well I will talk to you later,
Jasmine

 
At 12:27 AM, March 22, 2006, Blogger Stacey said...

We miss you, but as well as anyone can, we understand. And of all people, we are probably the ones who should least be near Alicia right now!

I don't know if anyone brought it up with you pre-discharge, but there is a medication that can be administered via injection to help keep Alicia from getting RSV...Synagis. Sometimes it's talked about as if it's a vaccine, but it isn't. It's some sort of specific immune booster.

Anyway, it's something to talk to the ped about if you have any interest. It's exhorbitantly expensive ($1K or so per monthly injection), so you'd probably need physician's orders and maybe even preapproval from the insurance company to get it.

But that got me really off the track of what I wanted to say- we are so happy for you, happier than we can say. I'm glad that you're putting your family back together, and I love the Moby wrap- I have one that is similar, but I've never used it because I like my Heavenly Bundle sling so much. I'll have to give the wrap a try :)

 
At 6:40 AM, March 22, 2006, Blogger Josh Fuller said...

Alicia is indeed getting Synagis...she had a dose on Friday, and the doctor may order one more for April just to cover the tail end of RSV season...after that they're not worried about it.

 
At 2:18 PM, March 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just an FYI about synagis--Samuel came home in April of 2005 and qualified for Synagis shots this past winter (one more shot to go)due to his extreme prematurity. Alicia would probably qualify for it next year, since it will be her first winter home. I am also a pediatric RN and have seen so many preemies get really sick with RSV (like "back on a ventilator for weeks" sick, and some die), so if the insurance company fights you on it, you could certainly fight back :) Next winter (after April) is going to be the most important time to protect her from getting sick, but you are so fortunate to have brought her home now instead of mid winter. She has all summer to grow and get her lungs more developed! We were so blessed to be able to have the same time frame for coming home. Good luck to you all!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home