8.07.2007

I'll give you a day or two

We have a lizard. An anole. Josh found him at work. On the floor. He's a tiny tiny little guy. And I don't think we're the right home for him. Josh didn't actually have to bring him home, but I at least wanted to meet him. And now I've met him. If we keep him any longer we're going to have to find him another cricket. So if you'd like an anole, please come get the guy soon. If you don't, I think he'll get craigslisted.

Toby's been saying good stuff lately.
As Toby was putting away some little Playmobile toys,
"Mama, take Licia. She can't eat my toys. They are hard for her to chew."

This morning Toby was anxious to go to Cub to ride in the rocket cart. I told him that we had to wait until I ate my oatmeal. He played for a few minutes. Then, "Mama, wait a minute, I have an idea! You could not eat your oatmeal!"

We were playing Star Wars Monopoly tonight. One character has a hooded robe and one (the princess?) has the big hairdo. Toby said those were Somalis. Whenever we see Somalis in public, I always say hello and teach Toby how to say hello in Somali. I was so proud when Toby said that.

Unfortunately, Toby also said multiple times today that he didn't love me. He was also mentioning me saying, "Josh, the kitchen is mine, you take the kids." That's a common saying around here as we divy up the duties. But after Toby had mentioned it a couple of times today, I clued in. Toby heard that and took it as rejection. Oh. So we had a little talk about that.

As for little Miss Alicia. She showed me her nose, ears, dress, belly button, diaper and feet today. Fun times! Josh is actually glad that she's not talking yet. She has so many opinions that he's not sure he wants to hear what she has to say. But she can say good night, done, cup, up, Mama, and there might be one or two more words I'm not thinking of. But she doesn't say even one of those words on a daily basis.

We had her eye exam yesterday. Last time she was at the edge of normal, testing farsighted. Yesterday she was less farsighted than last time. Yeah!! Doc still wants to see her again in 9 months. Just cuz she's a preemie. Next up, pulmonologist next week. I like him, but I'm going to ask/hope that we don't have to see him again for awhile either. But we won't part ways with the pulmonologist till Alicia is 6. For the eye doc, I think we'll see him only two more times before Alicia starts school as long as she's doing well.

Oh, I wanted to explain how they test her vision. They have a series of boards, about two and a half feet long. They are gray. On one end there is a square of stripes. I think the stripes are black and white (I don't have a visual memory worth poop). On the first board the stripes are few and thick. On each progressive board the stripes get thinner and increase in number. The area of stripes is the same size on each board. So he flips up the first board and watches to see where Alicia is looking. He wiggles the board, makes baby noises, flips the board so that the strips are on the left, then the right, maybe the left again. If Alicia's eyes follow the stripes, it's on to the next board. He goes fast. This time he started with the board Alicia was on last time and really only showed her two boards. The last board even took me a minute to find the stripes. So that's how they do it.

One friend said, they wouldn't put glasses on her anyway, at this age. Well, they might if they needed to. What they are worried about is crossing. Lots of babies are farsighted. Some of them compensate for it by crossing their eyes. I'm not sure if they slap on the glasses only once a babe is crossing her eyes, or if they pass out glasses even if there is no crossing but only much farsightedness. But Alicia is fine.

And she is. She's just fine.

Now about that lizard. Want him?

4 Comments:

At 9:20 PM, August 07, 2007, Blogger brad said...

just wanted to say "nice quote on the banner." that's from a song i put on the cd i made you (josh) for your birthday. i guess you like that song? what do you think about the rest of the cd?

 
At 9:21 PM, August 07, 2007, Blogger brad said...

just realized the quote changes every time you look at the page. i was referring to the "brand new" song (jesus christ).

 
At 3:06 AM, August 08, 2007, Blogger Brad said...

From one Brad to another, your contribution has gone far and wide, my friend!

 
At 6:26 AM, August 08, 2007, Blogger Josh Fuller said...

I will say that I loved that song even before you put it on a CD for me, brad, and the quote was added to the blog template a month or so before my birthday. It's amazing. But we love the whole CD...Michelle always loves the songs you pick, and I appreciate the broad spectrum of your taste. K-OS is our other favourite.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home