Sports In Brief
I'm aware that All Star games are always meaningless, but honestly, is there even any point in watching the NBA All Star game this year? I'm prepared to forgive the fans for not voting the best point guard in the league into the starting line-up, because fan voting is always a popularity contest and let's face it, when was the last time a short Canadian with bad hair won one of those? I sure haven't. And I understand why Josh Howard was left off...there are just too many good players in the West. But...I can barely summon the necessary amount of contempt and sarcasm...how is it possible to ignore Carmelo Anthony yet again? He deserved it his rookie year and was snubbed...fine. You have to pay your dues. Second year, nope. So last year he got even better, carried his team to the playoffs through numerous injuries, and hit more game winning shots than anyone in the league. Still not good enough. Now, in his fourth year...think about this...he is leading the damn league in scoring.
I understand that he missed some games. And I'm aware that he could end up playing in the game anyway, given that replacements will be named for the injured Carlos Boozer and Yao Ming. But it's hard to stomach his being ignored for the fourth year in a row.
In other news, Jeff Christie of Vancouver took 12th at the World Luge Championships. I can't think of anything else going on in sports right now.


2 Comments:
I'm with you on Carmelo Anthony. What a gyp. Honestly, though, I am embarrassed to live in a state where the team name includes the word "nugget".
Includes? It is the name! Though it makes for a good joke once in a while. Hey, you could live in Toronto. Or Utah. Heck, LA. They all have dumber names, and would be worse places to live as well. Is it just the NBA that has so many stupid names?
Anyway, all star update...no injury replacements named yet, but it should be fun to see Dwight Howard in the dunk contest. He has no chance of winning, of course, because of the rule instated immediately after the 1987 dunk contest which prohibits anyone over 6'6" from winning, no matter how deserving (cf. Shawn Kemp). If you're still allowed to miss 34 times before making one dunk, expect Nate Robinson to take it again.
Post a Comment
<< Home