For the Bible tells me so?
I remember pulling into the garage one night after work in September. Josh had called me that night at work to tell me that we had an offer on the house. We had put our house on the market the preceding week. As in, 7 days previously. One couple had come twice to see it. I asked God, "Do you really love me this much? Is this really you showing me how much you love me? God, how much do you love me?" Apparently death by cross isn't enough for me. Equally apparent, God does love us. Quite a bit. Our house sold. I was wracked with anxiety the whole time because it just didn't look like it was going to go through. We'd already paid two months on the house we were going to rent. We were packed. And I still didn't quite believe that God loved me, I guess.
I'm modern. The term refers to a system of thought that we use as the operating system of our developed world. Scientific, if-then thinking. It's good in that it helps us understand that the flu is not caused by demons or spirits, but germs, and that if we wash our hands, we're more likely to stay healthy. Clearly good. It also wraps us in logic that is not terrifically helpful in understanding God. If my house sells fast, God must love me. So, if your house takes eons to sell, God doesn't love you. You must have some unconfessed sin or something. It just doesn't follow. Yet it does follow that when I remember that God loves me, my anxiety melts.
A couple weeks ago, I talked to a man who lives in our former townhomes. He told me about a unit that was on the market for six months for $14,000 less than we had listed ours, and it had not sold. They must have listed it just after we moved. If they had been on the market at the same time as us . . ? And just before we listed ours, one sold for about $25,000 less than ours. As it was, we had to show up with cash for the sale to go through. We didn't even ask for the amount we still owed. But we sold the house. And we're moving to Canada.
Some would say that God wants us to go. I don't know. It's been the desire of our hearts to be there. It could just be that God loves us.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home