Time
My children are playing together nicely without me. Whatever can I do?
I get to give a presentation for a staff development meeting at work tonight. I'm definitely nervous. I expect a tough crowd. Perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised. But these are teachers who have to be at this meeting, they didn't choose to go, like the last time I presented. And these teachers think that I don't know anything. On the contrary, very few of them have any ELL training at all. I nearly have two degrees on the subject. Grr. But I'm still afraid of them. I'm presenting on the order of morpheme acquisition. I made a lovely PowerPoint and everything. We'll see. Oh, I'm nervous just typing about it.
In other news . . .
Alicia was trying on my bra the other day. She asked questions about why she didn't have one. Her argument included: But all my friends have one.
Here's a book that everyone should read:
Frederick Buechner, The Son of Laughter
Laughter is Isaac. His son is Jacob. Frederick Buechner is brilliant. Mr. Buechner is a minister and an author. A highly capable one. And for a Christian, he's quite gutsy. Buechner's not afraid to probe the sacred and ask the questions that we really need and don't find answers to. He's not so shallow as to offer answers. He's intelligent and skilled enough to peel back the scabs of pat Christianity to bleed the questions. What effect did the attempted sacrifice have on Isaac? How crazy were these people to believe in a God that they couldn't see? How in the world could these people believe that they were God's gift to the world when they sure look far more sinful than anyone else we know? It's good stuff.
And now Alicia's yelling. Time's up.


1 Comments:
The time is now 7pm and I rocked my presentation. I love knowing more than other people. Well, when I'm around people who care what I know. When I'm around everyone else, I just feel like a dork.
Post a Comment
<< Home