11.09.2005

A Change

Today Michelle was moved to Abbott Hospital. Her new number is 612.863.2546, and the room number is 5481. If you go to visit, you want to find the West Elevators and go to the 5th floor.

But an even greater shift is taking place in our minds today, a vague yet overwhelming altering of mindset. This is no longer about "how long are these silly doctors going to keep Michelle strapped to her bed;" it's becoming "keep baby safe and sound in there as long as we can."

This morning after Michelle's magnesium dose was lowered, she began having contractions again. These were kind that she notices, much in the way you notice when you stub your toe in the dark against, say, a particularly heavy and immobile appliance. So they bumped the dose back up and things settled down again.

But if she doesn't come off the magnesium, she doesn't come home. In the afternoon the decision was made to move her to Abbott, where the baby would have to be cared for if it was born this early. Michelle is 23½ weeks. If she had to deliver today, the baby would have an 85% chance. At this point in the pregnancy, that number goes up literally every day.

It doesn't look as if we should be expecting that. There's every reason to believe that she will carry the baby for much longer. But it's doubtful that she will reach full term (40 weeks), and doubtful that she will be coming home before she has the baby. Yesterday, even this morning, it seemed a horrible thought that Toby and I might not have Michelle home with us for many more weeks or months. But as I said, today has brought a shift of perspective. Now we pray for Mommy to stay in the hospital with the baby in her tummy for as long as she can. And we give thanks for the doctors, and even more thanks for the nurses, who care so much and work so hard for them.

Michelle is sorrowful, of course, but at peace and still in good spirits. This rearranging that I'm utterly failing to describe has buoyed us rather than sunken us lower. Perhaps it's both at once. People are asking how I am as well. I'm doing pretty well. I'm subdued today, but at my center I'm still content and even happy with everything turning out the way it is. It's a melancholy happiness that I can't describe.

I feel like I should say, for what it's worth, that the upbeat flippancy of the past three blog posts was not a false display or coping mechanism. It is who I am. It's an honest record of how I felt and thought about things. At the core of me is a strange dichotomy of cynicism and optimism that comes out in exactly that way. And it's how I'll continue to be throughout this season of uncertainty. But I'll never hide something else underneath it, and on days when I feel like I do today, you'll read a post like this one.

4 Comments:

At 9:26 PM, November 09, 2005, Blogger A Viewpoint From Victor said...

Josh-

Thanks for blogging so that we can know what's going on. You are able to capture so much of the roller coaster ride that you and your family are going through. It helps us to know how to pray and what to say.

Victor

 
At 10:49 PM, November 09, 2005, Blogger Stacey said...

ok not like this is the guaranteed fix-it, or anything, but i've heard more than once of preterm labor being brought on by undiagnosed UTI or group B strep infection...just something to consider (they may have cultured her for both already).

also, my midwife recommends tincture of black haw for stopping preterm labor...i can't remember the dosing regimen, but the info is in "wise woman herbal for the childbearing year" (susun weed). if you want the book but are having trouble finding it, i'm sure i could get one of rolla's copies for you, just let me know. the tincture is available at present moment herbs and books, and maybe elsewhere.

sheesh i keep posting these long comments! glad you are all keeping your spirits up...and when you can't, in my experience, nothing helps a bad mood like good punk music :)

 
At 8:50 AM, November 10, 2005, Blogger katy said...

wishing you guys all the best--

Michelle, you can play a game with the nurses. Ask for a cup of hot water. When they ask you if that's all you want, say yes. When she brings you the water, say that you changed your mind and want a tea bag to go with that. When you recieve said tea bag, ask if they have any lemon... see how long you can keep them running before they get pissed off.

<3 katy

 
At 9:03 AM, November 10, 2005, Blogger Josh Fuller said...

This from a nurse?

Thanks Katy. I'm glad you're in the loop.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home