My Favorite Movies
Before Michelle and I got married, there were a few things that caused problems between us. Now that we're married, of course, we never have any problems.
One of the things that bothered her was my penchant for movies which depict violent or otherwise offensive acts. Right off the bat I should clarify; it's not a particular affinity for such films. The more accurate statement would be that my penchant for movies does not exclude those which contain these less than savory elements. As always, the more accurate statement is the less gramatically pleasing one.
She couldn't understand why I enjoyed nasty movies (her adjective), and orthogonally, why I listened to nasty music. It didn't fit with my character as she knew it (and she knew it well). I was (and am) a moral, idealistic, even naive, good Christian boy. The sarcasm and cynicism is all just a front with me, though not an entirely voluntary one. I'd like to lose some of the cynicism if I could...another post for another day.
How then, she would ask, tearfully at times, as we were not yet married and this was a source of fear about our potential future life together, this unknown and irreconcilable aspect of my otherwise admirable character...
Too many subclauses. Starting over.
How then, she would ask, could I watch such films and still heed Paul's call in Philippians 4:8:
Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable — if anything is excellent or praiseworthy — think about such things.
I'd like to point out, as I did to her, that absent from this list of adjectives is the word 'nice.' Truth is not always pleasant. That which is noble and right, and even pure and lovely, is not compulsorily free of ugliness. I think the greatest stories of our or any era show that, in order to portray truth and beauty at its most excellent and praiseworthy, the artist must also faithfully depict her characters' depravity, whatever it may be.
Obviously, this doesn't justify violence for violence's sake. There are plenty of movies which offend just to offend, and I don't enjoy them. Usually I don't even watch them; they're pretty easy to spot in advance. One film I haven't seen which I'm curious about is American Psycho. If anyone can tell me whether it falls into this category or not, I'd appreciate it.
But there are quite a few 'nasty' movies which are incredibly redemptive, including my two favorite films, Se7en and American Beauty.
Se7en is the story of a serial killer, but shows none of his killings. The narrative follows the detectives tracking him as they view the scenes of his crimes. Some violence is shown in brief flashback form, but it is not the killer's acts that make the film so disturbing. It is his purpose. And the mind-blowing climax, in which his character is so vividly revealed and his acts transformed into something both greater and more terrible than murder, raises questions which last far longer than the closing credits.
I watched American Beauty for only the second time last night, six years probably very close to the day after the first. What an amazing film. The conclusion, after so much selfishness and shallowness from nearly every character in the movie, manages to resonate with love, generosity and redemption. Not redemption for the characters, for they are all guilty though none without excuse; but somehow Life itself is rescued from emptiness and meaninglessness through one man's death, and by proxy our lives as well. "You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry. You will."
I could give several more examples of films which, through some violence or depravity, portray the human condition and model its salvation. Pulp Fiction and The Matrix are obvious ones. I highly recommend The Talented Mr. Ripley. Even Life Is Beautiful must show some darkness to be as bright as it is. I know some of my readers are thinking of more examples as rapidly as I am...Saving Private Ryan, the Godfather trilogy, I haven't seen the Kill Bills yet but I'm sure they would qualify. A couple you might not have heard of...Boondock Saints and Cube are definitely worth checking out.
Not that I'm expecting everyone to agree with me. That's not the point. Michelle and I have laid this issue to rest to our mutual satisfaction, but as with so many things in a healthy marriage, the solution does not require either party to change. What is required is understanding and respect for a position different, but equally valid and in some ways more mature, than your own. I admire Michelle for not wanting to pollute her mind with images of evil. There is certainly enough of that in the real world not to have to go looking for more in fiction. And she can agree that there is benefit to be gained from films which she nevertheless has no interest in seeing, and be okay with me watching them when she (and Toby) is (are) not around.
Thankfully there are plenty of good flicks we can both enjoy. We still haven't seen the new Chocolate Factory yet, despite my devotion to the original as one of the best films of all time and my esteem for the incomparable Mr. Depp. Some of our favorites include Shakespeare In Love, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Sliding Doors. Special recommendation for linguists and National Geographic readers only...The Story of the Weeping Camel.
So what are your favorites (in either category)?


10 Comments:
Josh-
You know that I love movies almost as much as you do. I agree with your list for many of the same reasons and have listed some of my own favorite movies as an addendum:
Shawshank Redemption, A Few Good Men, No Way Out, Hunt for Red October, Braveheart, Hoosiers, Killing Fields, The Hours, Gladiator, and Primary Colors.
Victor
What a coincidence...I just checked out The Hours from the library. I'll let you know what I think.
You hit three others I haven't seen...thanks for the recommendations!
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
Did I hear you right? Did you honestly reconcile "lovely" and "ugliness"? I agree with you that truth is not always pleasant and I'm certainly no advocate of Bambi-only films. However, I wonder if there's simply a better way of taking in films. Maybe with some of these things, it's okay to "keep oneself from being polluted by the world" (while not failing to engage in it) and "guard your hearts and your minds". Maybe it's sort of like the apple (or "fruit" to be more exact)...maybe there's something to be said for ignorance in this matter and maybe our pride to know and see and endure and to proclaim ourselves unaffected by can be somewhat corrosive. And, sort of like Doug talks about with "speaching"...it's not any single act that is damaging, it's more of a repetitive stress disorder.
With all of that said, The Good Son, Murder in the First, and One Hour Photo.
I get into the Oscars quite a bit...I'm still bitter about 1994 when Forrest Gump beat out Pulp Fiction and The Shawshank Redemption for Best Picture. Anyway, last year was the first year in a while that I managed to see all 5 Best Picture nominees. I think I should avoid this in the future, because it just left me completely bewildered as to what made Finding Neverland and Sideways (both very enjoyable films) more deserving of Best Picture nominees than the dazzlingly original, well-written and well-acted, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
Brad...I strongly believe that it's not simply a matter of keeping oneself from being polluted by watching bad stuff, but that one can actually be enriched, taught and bettered by it. Gifted artists can and do create stories in which truth and loveliness emerge from ugliness. The loveliness and the ugliness are not one and the same, but the former could not have existed without the latter. And if movies like American Beauty and Life Is Beautiful fall short of demonstrating this sufficiently, most of us can find examples of it happening in our own lives.
I like your choices...definitely of the dark but redemptive variety, especially Murder In the First.
"...definitely of the dark but redemptive variety..."
That's the Hendricksonian way.
Have you seen "Hero" from China? incredible. creative storytelling, definitely redemptive. a bit dark but very colourful and full of symbolism.
Also favourites: The shawshank redemption, The power of one, To Kill a Mockingbird, Run Lola run
I saw a movie this year that I highly recommend -- "Crash." It's an artsy sort of film; didn't make it to the mainstream cinemas in Australia. It's on that dark and somewhat disturbing but highly redemptive list. It's one of those rare movies for me that I'm really glad I saw, but I don't ever want to see again. The characters were really well-developed, and the plots that looped them together...it was just really good. And the acting -- well i'm not any kind of expert on critiquing movies like you are Josh, but to me the acting seemed flawless. i don't think Michelle would want to see the movie, just because of some of the more disturbing scenes. But like I said, all those pieces were worth it to me, because it was so powerful and the things it says about people are so important. I'm glad I saw it, and refuse to see it again.
Have you seen "Hotel Rwanda" Josh? Anyone? I haven't yet. Is it just incredibly sad, or is there redemtiveness in that? i'm really curious about it, but debating whether or not I want to see that kind of suffering. Most of my students are refugees from similar situations, so i don't know if it would help me understand something better or just put horrible images in my head.
oh -- Amelie, Big Fish, and Whale Rider -- some of the best movies i've ever seen.
and the Shrek movies. and the LOTR triology- of course!
Glad you like the blog Alicia...welcome! Haven't seen Hero yet, but it's on my list. Just saw and loved Run Lola Run...good clean existentialist fun.
Hotel Rwanda...a wonderful film. The best I can sum it up...it's one of those true-story films that makes you say, "It's wonderful that that happened, and it's horrible that that had to happen." Kinda like Schindler's List or Braveheart.
Post a Comment
<< Home