Happenings
A lot's been going on lately, which is why we've been too busy to blog about it. So travel back with me, if you will, to a time long forgotten, a simpler, more innocent time, a time known as...
Thanksgiving

We spent turkey day with Michelle's folks, and one each of her aunts and uncles. I enjoy not having too large a group; it makes for easier conversation and there's more food for me. As usual, Papa's turkey was perfect and the pies were excellent.
Anniversary

On November 24th, Michelle and I had our seventh anniversary. We're getting to that stage where you can't believe it's been that long, but on the other hand it feels longer. A lot has happened in seven years.
We celebrated by dumping the kids at Granny and Papa's and going to see the Walker's current feature exhibit, the work of Frida Kahlo. Her paintings are breathtaking and challenging; it was almost overwhelming to see so much pain on the walls. A very dense, provocative collection, but manageable in size. It's definitely worth seeing if you can get yourself in the right frame of mind.
Nana Lori
My mom came out for a quick visit this week! Thank the gods for air miles...we love having her. She gave the kids lots of attention, caught us up on all the news from Vancouver, let us get out for a date, helped us celebrate a very special day, and left us with lots of presents to try to wait until Christmas to open! All this, and we only snapped one picture of her. And it's a little cheesy.
This time, for our date, Michelle and I got to see Love in the Time of Cholera. We both loved the book inordinately but managed to keep our expectations for the film version low, knowing that Señor Márquez's wonderful prose could never be satisfactorily translated to film, and weren't disappointed. It's a beautifully shot, lavishly acted, very well-made film. Certainly a good time at the movies; just don't expect it to be the book, people.
But anyway, back to my mother. The main event during her visit was...
Alicia's Birthday
Check out the cake! My mom has this book of fun-shaped cakes that's been around since about my second or third birthday. Flipping back through it, I can actually tell you which ones I had for my parties as a kid. Next year I'm hoping she'll come back out for my birthday and make me the rocketship. Alicia certainly liked her rabbit.
Be sure to click on that one and read the T-shirt...a present from Nana.
Snow
The day before Mom left the snow hit...four inches on Saturday. I like having the snow, because it's the only time Michelle volunteers to drive. The plows did a fine job though, and the runways were clear for Mom on Sunday afternoon. Toby helped me take her to the airport, and was even cool with a little Christmas-shopping stop on the way home, though I probably should have explained the concept more fully to him. The first words out of his mouth when we got home: "Mama, we got you a present! It's tea!"


2 Comments:
Sufjan Stevens has an album called "Enjoy Your Rabbit." I never understood the title until I read this post. Perhaps he foresaw Alicia's birthday. Or maybe his mom had the same cake book.
What an awesome tee shirt!
This blog post makes me smile a lot :)
Post a Comment
<< Home