3.04.2009

All in a day's work

This post may not be appropriate for children.

I teach English to adults who don't speak very much English. In case you are somehow unaware of that. Today we were reviewing body parts. After covering ankle, knuckle, . . the whole bit, the students sat down and I said, I realize I haven't told you everything. A student said, Yeah, we realized that too. Should I? Do you want me to? I think I'm going to be red.

Come on. If Michelle Fuller isn't going to teach her students the fun words, who will? So I did. I wrote on the board, Woman and Man. Under them I wrote vagina, breasts, then penis, testacles. Then I looked up testacles in the dictionary and changed it to testicles. I just don't read and write about these things very often. Then I wrote down circumcision and condom. Students called out other words that they knew, checking to see if they were the same. Pussy. Dick. Titties. Boobies. It was good stuff. They weren't sure what testicles were right off, so students called out descriptions. One woman said, the two tomatoes. I'm glad I'm not married to her husband.

So I classified the other words for them; a prostitute maybe says pussy, but if you like the woman, you shouldn't say pussy. Dick, people actually say that one. Not doctors, but other people. My students have learned most of these words from their teenagers and have no reference for knowing which words are the right words and which aren't. It was fun. I didn't get into words for sex, but the person they are having sex with probably speaks their language.

2 Comments:

At 8:42 PM, March 04, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done Michelle! I'm glad you're their teacher :-) I gave the sex talk to a 7th grader during my internship. It was a bit awkward, but I thought it was a better for me to feel a bit awkward than for her to get prego because she was misinformed. BTW, I think tomatoes it pretty funny.

 
At 5:51 AM, March 21, 2009, Blogger Licia said...

Beautiful. I laugh out loud. (I giggle quietly as my family is asleep). I remember these moments in teaching adults. Fun times. Auckward of course (oh dear, did I spell that word right? I don't think so!) And if you can imagine me, you know I was a brilliant shade of crimson alllll the way through the whole lesson. Even after it was over and we were back to talking about the present progressive tense or the passive voice. My students used to LOVE to see what would make me blush. Ahh..thanks for the stories and memories Michelle!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home