For the Sake of an Update
Yesterday I had some free time and thought to myself, "Self, you should write a new post on your blog." So I sat down, opened up the blog, realized I had nothing to say and played poker for an hour.
The issue at stake is, does one update one's blog primarily because one has something to say, or because it's been a while and one's readers grow weary of checking in only to find the same old whining about Amos still staring them in the pixels? It's a complex but dull issue which Jenell handles with delicacy and verve in her latest post. But just for today, I'm going to diverge from her sagacious conclusions and blog just because.
Michelle and I saw Kung Fu Hustle this weekend. Roger Ebert's review invoking Jackie Chan, Buster Keaton, Quentin Tarantino and Bugs Bunny as the principal components of Stephen Chow's madcap movie has garnered it some deserved attention. His description is accurate and appropriate; the problem is it's impossible to imagine what Bugs Bunny cross-bred with Quentin Tarantino looks like until you see it. The results are silly, violent and completely beyond believability.
The special effects in this movie are almost too good. What happens in Kung Fu Hustle shouldn't look this real. It's like watching the Roadrunner maim and mock the Coyote on Animal Planet. If you think you might be into that, you should check it out while it's still showing on one screen in the Twin Cities.
The NBA Finals! San Antonio kicked some major Motor City asphalt in Games 1 & 2, but I still expect it to be a good, long series. Detroit is undefeated at home in the Finals this decade.
My parents are coming to visit. Together. They split up right about the time I got married, which was almost as unnerving as you might think, but also provided a good reality check and helped me enter my marriage with a better understanding of what I was promising and a determination to work at preserving that. And if nothing else, it gave Michelle and I a little more in common.
But anyway, after 25 years of marriage they figure they should be able to enjoy their first grandchild together, and we're all looking forward to it. Who knows, maybe before long I'll allow myself to gush about how wonderful Toby is on the blog. So far I've restrained myself, conforming to the cardinal rule of being a new parent: Everything your child does is approximately one tenth as interesting/funny/adorable to anyone else as it is to you. Two minutes of stories and two pictures are good limits to set for yourself.
Addendum: I started writing this yesterday and finished today. It is perhaps worthy of comment that two days after Jenell vowed not to blog again until her babies were born, her babies were born. The urge to blog is a powerful thing.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home