Well, That Was Abrupt
Alicia Grace Fuller was born by Cesarean section at 2:44 PM today, at 26 weeks and 2 days gestation. She weighs one pound, nine ounces, and is thirteen inches long.
Michelle called me at work around one o'clock to tell me that she was bleeding a lot and they were about to take her upstairs to do an ultrasound. She called back five minutes later and said she'd like me to be there. I said okay and left work. I arrived at the hospital five minutes after they had made the decision to take the baby out. There's no way to be ready for anything like that, but we'd had three weeks to consider every possible scenario and we knew this was an entirely likely one.
Michelle's hemoglobin was low, so she was knocked out entirely for the surgery. Because of this, for some reason, I wasn't allowed to be with her. I was told I'd be able to watch the birth through a window, but this did not happen. I met Alicia ten minutes after she was born. She already had a tube breathing for her and was getting her belly button IV's put in, so she didn't really have time to say hi.
She was small. She was skinny, red, and also very small. The first thought that went through my mind when I saw her was that she couldn't possibly survive. But that quickly evaporated. We'd already looked at pictures of 23 weekers who survived, and Alicia is much bigger than some of them. After the initial shock, I realized she was beautiful. She's puffy and deeply pink, but beautiful. Her limbs are thin, her hands and feet look like tiny adult hands and feet rather than tiny baby hands and feet. Her head is perfectly round and her face looks a little like a tiny version of Toby on his first day. She has a little black fuzz for hair.
Over the next couple of days she will gain weight, then she'll lose a lot of it. She'll become less puffy and her skin will shrivel up, but she'll breathe easier because of this. From there, it'll just be a long, steady process of lying in a tank and growing. All day today her signs were good and strong. She's doing everything a healthy premie should do.
Sorry I don't have pictures; I went to the hospital straight from work. Doug got a couple with his camera phone before she went into the NICU, and Michelle's stepmom Janelle showed up with a camera a little later.
Michelle is wiped out. She was in a lot of pain and very dizzy upon waking; she was in moderate pain and extremely sleepy when I left. She doesn't expect to be up to visitors or phone calls anytime soon.
It's been a long day and a long three weeks. We are exhausted and excited. Michelle will be home in four or five days. Toby and I will be unimaginably glad to have her home again, regardless of whether she can walk. It will be months before Alicia can come home, but she has arrived. We can see her. We can touch her. We can tell her story.


15 Comments:
Hi Josh, this is Kira Campbell, formerly of SP and now of NJ. I've been following the Fuller story for a couple weeks now (sorry I haven't let you know until now!). I just wanted to say hi and let you know you are all in my prayers, and have been for weeks now. But now little Alicia especially is. I think of you all a lot -- give Michelle my best! And congratulations on your new daughter; daughters are great!
Josh and Michelle,
We are praying for you and that tiny baby. I am so glad you posted this today, Josh. I can't wait to see pictures of Alicia, and she may be tiny, but I am sure she has a mighty strong spirit and she will continue to grow and thrive.
lots of love,
The Stratfords
Rejoicing with you all in a mixed kinda way on hearing of baby Alicia's safe arrival. (we wish her arrival was postponed a little longer)
May strength, joy and relief be yours in abundance.
The Meyers
Wow...what an ordeal!
Congrats and peace to all of you. Whew.
Sending thoughts of rapid healing to Michelle, safe maturing for Alicia, and a happy return home for both of you.
Love you guys--
Auntie Katy and Uncle Shane
Hey guys...been praying for all of you and was from 3pm on yesterday too. Quinn Farley was 2'1'' born at 26 weeks. Look at her...she is a powerhouse. Little girls seem to power through prematurity. I know exactly where u are at, the process, the staff, etc.. so will continue to pray for you. God is good. Tim, Conor & Quinn Farley
I've found that in times like this, what people need most ... are links. Our dear friends Robert and Kirsten gave birth to their son Samuel at 23 wks 6 days (I think). Samuel continues to do well, at about a year old. Their website may or may not be interesting, but if you're looking around for prematurity info, Robert has good links to all of that. http://www.godhearssam.blogspot.com/
I'm looking forward to holding, seeing, and playing with Alicia. And in the meantime, praying, hoping, loving, and rejoicing.
I keep thinking about the song we sing at the Porch: "Stand beside those who cannot fight" with Alicia in my heart. We are all thinking of you at the B-hill/Schwenke house.
You're all in my thoughts & prayers. Welcome to the world, Alicia. You are greatly loved.
Reading your post and the responses from those who love you, is a powerful thing. I am at work, in the break room, with tears in my eyes, at the amazment of life and abundance of support! We join you and all these other folks in praying for sustained life and strength to live well. God's peace be with you all!
Shelley
I too was at work with tears in my eyes (reading my email on company time which totally is against the rules and not something I usually do, but felt like I should yesterday just before 3pm). I just sat there and stared at the screen and said a little prayer for Alicia. Josh, your description of how beautiful she is brought me to tears again just now (only in the comfort of my own home). I'm excited to see photos and for the day she can join our community on the outside of the hospital.
I'm so glad that this has worked out.
Nice to meet you Alicia, albeit ever so virtually.
May God bless and give peace to you.
- Steven
I too have tears in my eyes reading your blog. What an amazing journey y'all have been on. I will be praying for God's peace, strength, patience, and love to be washed over everyone involved with this little miracle!
jennifer
Josh & Michelle-
I am so happy that Alicia has arrived and everyone is OK. You all will continue to be in my prayers as one journey ends and another begins.
May you have peace and joy during this time!
Victor
Hi Josh and Michelle,
It is a great comfort to be near you (physically) through this great event. The prayers and well wishes of your wonderful community of support will carry you through the challenging weeks ahead. My love and best wishes to all four of you! Nana Nell
Post a Comment
<< Home