3.08.2008

Did You Know?

Like all good Canadians, I seldom pass up a chance to snicker at the self-centered ignorance of Americans, so to that end I do my part this week by directing you to this article (thanks to Graeme for sending it my way):

Have you heard of the Olympics? No? Join the club.

Basically, this guy (from Kamloops, BC) talked to a bunch of Americans and found out that almost none of them knew that in two years, the Winter Olympics, with all the grand spectacle and alleged substance abuse that goes with it, will be staged in my (adopted) hometown of Vancouver.

Hilarious.

Or at least amusing, I'll grant, but on further reflection I came up with an argument in defense of Mr. Foulds' ill-fated victims. I'll share it, and you can tell me if you agree.

I wonder if this guy is aiming too high. My recollection of Olympics past, both summer and winter, is that no one really talks about where they are going to be until you turn on the TV and watch the opening ceremonies, and then you see lots of footage of the area and little filler pieces on the host city and its particular charms. It doesn't surprise me that Americans don't know about Vancouver two years in advance. Eight years ago I'd bet almost none of them knew or cared that it was going to be in Utah either.

Now if you were in the Vancouver media market I bet this would be surprising news indeed, because I happen to know it's all over the news constantly...I still follow a few Vancouver news sources and blogs. If I was living there I might be getting swayed over into the anti-Olympic camp myself. I can certainly understand the argument about what better things all that money could be spent on. But it's going to be fun to be able to see all that stuff happen in my hometown, so to speak. I always enjoy the Olympics for the spectacle as well as the sport.

3 Comments:

At 8:54 PM, March 09, 2008, Blogger Graeme said...

I wonder if you polled 100 Americans where the 2002 Olympics were held and 100 Canadians where the 1988 Olympics were held 20 years ago, what the results would show. I'd put my money on the Canucks!

 
At 12:24 PM, March 10, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No one outside of Russia, northern Europe, or Canada gives a crap about the winter games.

Sorry, just wandered across your BLOG while looking for a different Josh Fuller.

 
At 4:56 PM, March 10, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*I'm from Australia.

*I enjoy the Winter Olympics more than the summer ones. People falling down hills is much more exciting than people running in circles or struggling to come second in the pool events.
*I did know that Vancouver will be hosting the olympics, and I'm excited to see world class athletes falling down the same hills that I fell down once many years ago. I wonder if one of them will find that glove I lost in the snow.
*My money is on the Canucks too.

enough said.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home