3.11.2007

working mama

I like being a stay-at-home mom. I also really don't like it. It depends on when you ask me. Overall I like to say that I'd like to be a stay-at-home mom 35 hours a week. Not 40. Or 50 if you include Josh's drive time.

Staying at home, you begin to resign yourself to the idea that no one will ever listen to you the first time. I find myself speaking to Toby in big words for my own sanity. Also, he's less likely to respond to the huge words, which sometimes is a very good thing.

I intended to sub for evening adult basic education ELL this year. I signed up for both Minneapolis and Osseo (the district I live in). Unfortunately, I wasn't getting very many jobs, so I thought that selling Usborne books would help me get out of the house a bit more. These things were okay, but I'd come home late and be short on sleep the next day.

Then out of the blue, my previous manager called me. She had a position and she "needed someone good." Ha! So I have a job. I'm actually teaching at MISCO, a Minneapolis company that manufactures speakers. Tuesdays and Thursdays from 12:30-2:30, I get to teach the English that the employees need for making speakers. The class will be at the company and the students will actually be paid to attend the class. The first six weeks will be English. The next six weeks will be math. I also get paid to write the curriculum for the math part. Hmm. I look forward to it. I also look forward to lots of help from Josh. So it's just 12 weeks in all.

The kidlings go to Mimi's house. They love it. Alicia even took a nap for Mimi. And I enjoy my kids so much more after being away from them for just a bit.

So it's all good. We did an assessment this past week. Classes should start on Tuesday. I'm pretty sick, though. So we'll see if I'm ready to go.

Yeah! You know, when I actually get out of the house, it's strange to have people actually listen to me. Just bizarre. You don't need me to repeat that, slower? That's when I know that I've actually spent too much time alone with my children, perfect though they are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home