10.13.2005

Unhelpful Observations

Last Sunday we at Solomon's Porch heard a beautiful sermon about how open and accepting our church is, and how well-suited and relevant it is to a beautiful, diverse, progressive city like Minneapolis. It was a good message, essentially accurate and refreshingly candid.

And while it's good to pat ourselves on the back once in a while and hear from a relative newcomer what it is that makes our church so appealing to so many, that we may strive to preserve and improve upon our strengths, it's also good to be sure we're not wearing blinders, preventing ourselves from seeing anything but the good about ourselves.

We're a church that talks about dreams. We try to base ourselves on 23 dreams that were dreamed, collected and set down at Solomon's Porch's inception. These dreams were read out at the close of the sermon. They are helpful guidelines and wonderful goals. And they are usually accompanied by the reminder that they are an unfinished list; that as new people join our community, we become a different community because they bring new dreams that become our dreams. And this too is often true in practice.

But as open and accepting as we say we are, we have much of the same rigidity and close-mindedness that we express disappointment with (on our good days) and condemn (on our bad days) in other churches. We've just settled on different things to be rigid and close-minded about.

So if you become a part of our church, your dreams become our dreams, as long as your dreams don't sound too much like any of these:

I dream of a church where I can sing songs and hear music that is centuries old, that carries the wisdom and spirit of the community of faith from generations long ago. Sorry. We engage in many practices that engage us with our ancestors in faith, including prayers, benedictions, postures and poetry, but we create all our music ourselves, and we have very good reasons for this. This will not change.

I dream of a church where I can speak positively about the modern evangelical church. Careful. If there's still a lot you like about evangelicals and you can't talk about your past church experiences without not sounding bitter or dismissive, we'd rather you didn't talk about it much at all.

I dream of a church where I get ripped a new one if I don't participate financially. We'd like our members Covenant Participants to be as engaged with their money as they are in other ways, but we don't like to talk about it much. If you consider yourself a member of our community but don't see giving as a part of that commitment unless its convenient, we might put out a form letter or make mention of it in an annual meeting, but you don't have to worry about us making any more fuss than that. This isn't an issue that we like to address from the pulpit stool. Oh, and please don't suggest that we have a time in the service Gathering dedicated to collecting tithes and offerings. That's not who we are.

I dream of a church where parents of young children are given the option of participating in worship without being responsible for the needs and safety of their children. We respect your dreams and we'd like to engage our community in a conversation about this topic. If it seems like enough other members of our community share this dream of yours, we will then engage our community in another conversation about what might be a good solution for our community. But it can't look too much like shutting the kids away in a room where they won't bother us, because that's what the evangelicals do. Give us a few months, and we'll come up with something. You don't mind if we wait until the next time we move to address this, do you?

Not all of the dreams mentioned above are mine. For the most part, I am better represented by the responses to them, satirical though they are. You all know that the last one is really the only one I am personally invested in. But I just want us all to recognize that even we have areas we're too rigid about, just like any other church. I'm proud of how open and accepting my church is towards all races, creeds and orientations. We're even getting to the point where we can say we're accepting of all ages. But we're not that much more open than everybody else...we're just open about different things than they are. Maybe even more important things.

And that's a great start. But it's not the end.

7 Comments:

At 11:02 PM, October 14, 2005, Blogger This Girl said...

I dream of a church where even half of the ideals of the church match both mine and my husband's ideals. I want perfection, even though I say I don't, but I would be willing to settle for a place that doesn't size us up when we spend the day with them. Just welcome us with smiles and force hugs upon us, is all I ask. And evening church. That's it.

 
At 4:13 AM, October 15, 2005, Blogger Josh Fuller said...

Yes...I should be and am very thankful that we have that. Well, except for the hugs.

 
At 9:34 PM, October 16, 2005, Blogger Stacey said...

A long (but not as long as it originally was) comment...

I think these are all valid criticisms, of SP in particular, and some probably apply equally well to emerging churches at large. I find it particularly interesting that while our dreams are supposedly always changing, we're still using a list years old to describe ourselves. Seems a bit contradictory...ah well, picky, picky.

I think this is stuff that needs to be put on the table, so to speak. Why don't we include historical music (anymore)? Why can't we be more deliberate and clear about how kids participate, and give parents opportunities to do something besides parent? For instance, why in heaven's name (ok, I want to use stronger language, but you get the idea) don't we have childcare during Covenant Participant metings, for a start?? Why, with so many parents and parents-to-be, is our community still building itself exclusively around the schedules and needs of 20- and 30-something singles? I don't need anyone to cater to me, but some balance would be nice. We have obvious problems with financial participation, what can be/is being done about this? It's great that we're tentatively planning on purchasing or building a facility of our own in a few years, but I can't see how that is going to happen, esp so soon, without major changes. Why is it we think we're so open and accepting and maybe even "better than" evangelicals (implied but not stated though it is), when we just have different blind spots and hangups?

I'm not bitter. Yet. But if these things don't start to get the attention and time that they deserve, SP as we dream of it will start to falter and fail. Because who wants to go to a church full of smug people who are better than you? Of course I'm exaggerating, and there are many at SP who are the antithesis of this, but I think that's the general direction we're headed unless we take the time to examine our prejudices and blind spots. I think human groups in general tend in that direction without thoughful self-examination and periodic, prophetic reality checks.

I love SP like my only home. It makes me angry that we are falling so short of what we could be, and that no one seems to care.

 
At 10:30 AM, October 18, 2005, Blogger Brad said...

I love you, Josh. This post is awesome. Dead on, but not brash...beautiful, man.

 
At 8:19 PM, October 19, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, forgot to check back to see if you responded. Apparently, you did. I don't suppose you follow BC news, but I'm on strike right now. Em's doing well - she went back to school at UBC. We're in the process of looking for a new church. I like what I saw at SP's website. Sounds like my kind of church. Unfortunately, I'm not in the area. Take care.

 
At 9:14 PM, October 19, 2005, Blogger Josh Fuller said...

Dude, what's your email?

I am following the teachers' strike (sort of). I listen to cfox.com, so I hear their news reports, and I read this guy's blog. All the best.

 
At 11:25 AM, October 20, 2005, Blogger Rachie Rach and the Funky Bunch said...

Josh,
This blog is really insightful, in my opinion. It seems funny to me now that we have been removed from SP for over a year and a half because all those issues were difficult for me when Dan and I were there.

However, I would also say that if these are important enough and if enough people are impassioned about them, why aren't there collective conversations where maybe some resolutions can be reached?

It is very nice, indeed, to be able to worship and hear some teaching, etc... and know that my kids are learning about Jesus a few rooms down. I can sit at church with my husband and we can not parent for a mere hour or so, but can more deeply engage in what is happening around us. The evangelical church doesn't do everything wrong--they do a lot of stuff right, and sometimes we need to get off our high horses and show a little humility instead of assuming that we are doing it "better" or "right" just because we are not evangelical. I really really really hate the whole "anti" movement amongst Christians--"anti" just for the sake of it.

And, for the record, I enjoy singing "Amazing Grace" or some other traditionally historical "Christian" hymn or song. It wouldn't kill the Emergent Church to try to sing a few of those once in a while.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home