7.24.2007

Yes, this really is a blog post about The Matrix. Sort of.

So I just saw this amazing movie, and if you haven't heard of it, you gotta check it out. It's called The Matrix.

Okay, yeah, I know. Writing a blog post about The Matrix is akin to, well, the mind reels at the analogous possibilities. Writing a cookbook of recipes for mashed potatoes. Painting a bowl of fruit. Burning a mix CD of U2, REM and Aerosmith songs.

It's been done. To death. Perhaps it was worth doing, once, and it's not like the source material has lost anything to age, but at some point it becomes an exercise in old hat. At the very least, there should be a statute of limitations on this sort of thing.

To be honest, I'm open to suggestions. For a couple years now, this blog has meandered over a broad array of topics. The main focus is always going to be our life and adventures as a family, which over the past year was rather dramatic subject matter, and is now becoming more of a "Look How Cute Our Kids Are" blog. Which is great, and I love doing it. But there's still a lot of room left over for other stuff. Observations on the finer and funnier points of life. Rants and ruminations on movies and music. I've considered, even touched on, other areas. I'm a Christian, if you can vote Democratic, nurture an affinity for the F-Word, support gay marriage, occasionally wonder whether Jesus was serious about that whole Second Coming thing, and still be called a Christian. Anybody still with me? Anyone at all? Damn, where's my cousin Corey when I need him?

Anyway, so I have thoughts on faith and religion that I occasionally consider blogworthy, but I question whether a blog is the right forum for such discussions, and whether this readership is interested. I could also delve into current events more often, but where to start? I don't pretend to know more than the next guy, but I often sound as if I think I do, mostly because I'm willing to argue. I'm as ready as anyone to admit when I'm wrong, and I don't mind being the target of ridicule, but it's not an actual goal of mine either. Especially if I was only asking a question.

Uh, yeah. Where was I? So if you as a reader have particular preferences of what sort of things you enjoy reading about, or, you know, dislike less than others, comments are welcome. Or just keep lurking, that's cool too.

So maybe this isn't a post about the Matrix. But consider it a preface. I just saw the first Matrix movie for about the fourth time, and it's just so freakin' good. I mean, remember how good it is? It's so good.

[/gush]

One of my theories is that the first Matrix film is about Faith. The second is about Choice. And third is about Love.

Another of my theories is that there is much to be gained from the practice of sitting down for six hours and watching all three back to back, which I have done once.

Still another theory: Hugo Weaving can do more with a single line of dialog than any actor alive. There are better emoters, better character actors, better anything you care to name, but that guy does not waste a single word of the script.

I just have lots of theories. So at some point they should make for a decent, if dated, post. But if you've got a better idea, let's hear it.

5 Comments:

At 7:30 PM, July 24, 2007, Blogger Michelle Fuller said...

You should know that I've been teaching at night a lot when Josh has been blogging more often. This is the last week of teaching, though. You might need to find something else to read for August. September, though, should prove to produce much blogging.

 
At 11:29 PM, July 24, 2007, Blogger Graeme said...

Hey Josh. It's time to get into the 2000's! The Matrix came out in 1999 so maybe you can wait 2 years and do a 10 year anniversary flashback...

You used (many years ago) to review movies still in theaters or recently released in DVD but I haven't seen any for a while. How is Transformers? A loud, thin plotted, cash grab aimed at nostalgic 30 something's? What's up with the Die Hard franchise flogging Bruce Willis again to play John McClane for a 4th (or 5th?) time?

 
At 6:11 AM, July 25, 2007, Blogger Josh Fuller said...

I still do a full-fledged movie review once in a while...like Lady in the Water or Star Wars III. You're right...could do more.

Die Hard 4 is outstanding. Everything you could possibly ask for from the franchise. Incredibly enjoyable.

I have not seen Transformers. I was excited when I first heard they were doing it, because I thought it would be a campy tongue-in-cheek send-up. Then I saw the trailers and realized it was actually going to be a big, patriotic action blockbuster with none of the self-aware silliness that I was hoping for. That said, now that it's out I hear the story actually holds up thanks to some decent human acting as well as the amazing CGI. I may have to check it out.

 
At 7:04 AM, July 25, 2007, Blogger Kira said...

Have you seen V for Vendetta? Hugo Weaving is amazing in that too -- in the sense that you never once see his face, therefore he isn't able to portray any kind of emotion that way, yet he is so compelling with words alone that you don't even miss seeing a face.

 
At 7:45 AM, July 25, 2007, Blogger Josh Fuller said...

Yes, V For Vendetta was certainly a tremendous validation of my Hugo Weaving theory. And also just about the best movie I saw last year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home