8.01.2006

August and Everything After

I don't know what that title means, but if Brad Hendrickson can reference Mary Poppins in the title of a post about Eddie Izzard (and he can, and then pay me a tremendous compliment in a second Poppinsian post), then a timely Counting Crows reference is not out of order.

Now that I've got my linking fix out of the way, I just wanted to let everybody know that Alicia's second cat scan on Friday went just fine. We didn't mean to leave you hanging or anything, but there wasn't that much to tell. She still has a cyst on her lung, but it's quite small. The doctor hasn't been able to compare it to any earlier X-rays yet, so we don't know if it's shrinking or staying the same, but it's not getting larger; that's the important thing.

She's a much happier baby than Toby was at 5 months. She smiles and even laughs at us all the time. You'd think a kid with asthma and frequent constipation would have an excuse to be grumpy, and from time to time she certainly can be, but overall she has a cheery disposition. Of course, I'm writing this as I'm about to leave for work and leave her home with Mom all day. So maybe Michelle will have something slightly different to say about it.

7 Comments:

At 7:33 AM, August 01, 2006, Blogger Kira said...

You have stumbled upon the title of one of my favorite albums EVER, by probably my favorite band. Not that I don't like hearing about Alicia (why else would I be here?), but I did get falsely psyched for something Crows-related....

 
At 9:49 AM, August 01, 2006, Blogger Rachie Rach and the Funky Bunch said...

That is certainly great news about Alicia! However, I, too, am a HUGE Counting Crows fan (is that totally nerdy?) and think they are great song writers (After TOOL, of course).

 
At 3:44 PM, August 01, 2006, Blogger Brad said...

Thank your for your kind words, Josh. Two things quickly:

1.) The second post you reference actually isn't "Poppinsian." It's from Snow White's "Whistle While You Work" (1937) immediately following a line about "tidy[ing] up the place. [See the post in question to more fully appreciate the context under which I used this.]

2.) August and Everything After, according to Wikipedia (gotta love it), was the song whose lyrics appear faintly handwritten on the album cover, "but the band decided against featuring the song on the album of the same name, and it wasn't until over a decade later that it was played as part of one of their live concerts.

You can find the lyrics here.

 
At 3:46 PM, August 01, 2006, Blogger Brad said...

My apologies for not utilizing a close quote after "concerts".

 
At 4:27 AM, August 02, 2006, Blogger Josh Fuller said...

I'm definitely a Counting Crows fan, but I have to admit I was somewhat surprised to learn that their recent Greatest Hits CD was actually not just a rerelease of their debut album.

TOOL, of course, is the best rock band in existence. I've been tempted many a time to write a post on their sheer excellence, but I could never convince myself that my readers would care. However, thanks to my extremely cool father-in-law, I will be attending their concert at Target Center on September 16. So that will probably be my excuse to expatiate on their greatness.

And clearly, I need to brush up on my children's films. It's about time to start acquainting Toby with all some of those timeless classics anyway.

 
At 3:22 PM, August 02, 2006, Blogger Brad said...

Clearly.

;-)

 
At 6:57 PM, August 03, 2006, Blogger Michelle Fuller said...

Did you know that your "extremely cool father-in-law", who used to be a computer instructor, doesn't know how to read the comments?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home