11.12.2005

Adventures in a house with two boys

Classic lines from children's television shows
"Everyone at school is laughing at me because I'm not funny!"
Arthur

It doesn't exactly exemplify my childrearing philosophy, but at certain times PBS cartoons can be a single dad's best friend. Commercial free, G-rated, educational and occasionally quite entertaining.

I'm feeling pretty good. I feel like I've got a handle on the household. Laundry, groceries, bills, all the stuff which used to be mysteriously and invisibly handled by my remarkable wife; it's under control. I had lots of great help to get me started, especially from Kayla in the groceries department. And my mom will be here next week to whip things into even whippier shape.

After Thanksgiving, I will be graciously accepting meals from those of you who have volunteered to supply a dinner or two for Toby and I. Carla Barnhill is the person to contact about that, but like I said, not until after Turkeyday. I'll remind you.

Michelle's magnesium had to be increased today. She had started having some contractions, so they upped the dose slightly. It's hard to know what to make of this. Things subsided pretty quickly, so it doesn't look like there's any immediate concern. But we want the magnesium to be going down, not up. It discouraged Michelle quite a bit. She has her sights set on making it to 28 weeks, but after today she's less optimistic about getting there. I reassure her, of course, that this doesn't mean she can't still carry the baby for a long time yet, and it doesn't mean that the baby won't do just fine whenever she is born. The thing is, it doesn't necessarily mean anything at all. And yet it seems far from meaningless. So we pray and try to trust. I know better than to tell her not to worry.

1 Comments:

At 12:45 AM, November 14, 2005, Blogger Stacey said...

I miss PBS Kids- we haven't been able to get it in since we moved in April. We can sort of get the afternoon airing of Sesame Street on 17, but that's all. I miss Arthur.

I do not, however, miss Jay-Jay the Jet Plane...machines with faces are creepy (we had a Focus on the Family version of two episodes on video, which was even creepier). Nor do I miss Thomas the Tank Engine...creepy machines with faces that are always crabby- oops, I mean cross. There's not a happy character on the show!

I *do* miss watching Between the Lions and seeing Allie dance with Artie Smartypants.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home