11.22.2005

Start Me Up

I have a story to tell you.

A few months back, the Fullers bought a new car. A 2004 Ford Focus. Great car, we love it. The only drawback was that it only came with one key, and no remote keyless unlocking fob thingy (I never know what other people call it, so I just threw every word I could think of in there). Michelle's stepcousin bought it at auction for us, so you take what comes with it. Because we can only get in our car with a key (how prehistoric) and because there is no keyhole in the passenger door, if one is carrying a twenty-eight-pound toddler and wishing to deposit him in his car seat, one must unlock the driver's side door, open said door, push the unlock button, close the door, walk around to Toby's door anddamnI'mgettingtiredjusttypingthewholethingandI'mnotgoingtofinish.

So a desire of ours for the past few months has been to obtain a second key, and maybe see about the keyless entry which we grew quite accustomed to with the Escort. But what with one thing and another and several other things besides, it hasn't stood a chance of getting done.

Fast forward to this week, with my mother in town and happening to glean the gist of the above. The woman spends Monday morning looking up phone numbers and tracking down the right Ford dealership, makes an appointment, takes the car in on Tuesday morning (with Toby, mind you) and has the work done. Tonight at the hospital, as a present for our anniversary, she presents us with a second key and two fobs. They work. We are thrilled. Even Michelle, who can't use them just yet.

Okay, I didn't say it would be a good story.

You should know that today was much better, with fewer contractions. I probably won't continue to give as much detail about Michelle's symptoms and medications, but there will continue to be good and bad days and you can expect me to keep you posted on them. We're becoming accustomed to the roller coaster, and it helps to just process each bump once and move on, rather than relive them in a dozen conversations a day. This is going to be a long haul, and we'll have to find a way for it to become normal.

Michelle had many visitors today and she loves them all. I've said it enough already, but once again: the phone calls and visits are wonderful. She demands that I express her heartfelt thanks.

1 Comments:

At 6:21 AM, November 23, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was so sure the story was going in another direction, you know the one where the car is running, the 28 pound toddler is strapped in along with the key and of course dad is locked out. I really didn't want that. Thanks mom. Glad you got to cuddle at the hospital. Glad they have a place Michelle can be where they specialize in keeping babies in. You are in our thoughts. Sorry my friends took all of our money at poker. K

 

Post a Comment

<< Home