5.18.2008

Lemonade

I'm writing this to keep myself awake.

In half an hour, Michelle and I will leave our friends' house and drive to the SeaTac airport, somehow get three suitcases, three backpacks, two car seats, two sleeping children, and ourselves aboard a plane. The plane will take off at midnight (west coast time) and land at 5:30 (Minnesota time). This was not the original plan.

The friends whose house was mentioned are Chad & Melinda Anderson. They are not home, but when they heard what happened, they were incredibly helpful and gracious and let us use their place for a couple hours. Toby and Alicia are fast asleep on their bed.

I'm writing this post backwards. It would take too much energy to tell the story in the right order. Just pretend you're watching the movie Memento.

We had a lovely day in Seattle. Perfect weather. We went to the zoo. Saw animals and got sunburned. The kids loved it. We ate dinner at Tutta Bella, the classiest and yet funnest kid-friendly pizza joint you can imagine. Dessert was just up the street at Molly Moon's. Spectacularly sinful ice cream. We were spoiling ourselves.

The morning was not as fun. We thought we had it all figured out. Flight leaves at noon; need to be at the airport at 10:30; need to leave White Rock, BC at 7:30. The drive is only two and a half hours, with an extra thirty minutes for delays. We failed to imagine that it could take t w o ... l o o o o n g ... h o u r s to cross the border from Canada into the US. That was not fun.

We were close. We really were. Pulled into the airport 29 minutes before our departure time. Found out you're not allowed to check luggage less than 30 minutes before departure. I've never heard of that rule. Michelle's never heard of that rule. Have you heard of that rule?

It's not like we don't know you're supposed to be there much earlier than 30 minutes. We've flown this flight a lot of times. Toby and Alicia both know the routine by heart already. We've never taken longer than 30 minutes to cross the border; usually it's much quicker even than that. Today it was two hours. Sucks to be us.

So we're going to try the red-eye. Something we've not done before. It should be interesting. I'm pretty sure Toby and Alicia will sleep through the flight. Mom and Dad probably will too. Getting on the plane will be the hard part. That and staying awake after I hit this Publish button...

The really nice thing to do would be to continue going back in time and tell you more about our wonderful ten days in Vancouver, but that will have to wait for the next post. Right now, for the second time today, I have a plane to catch.

8 Comments:

At 9:31 PM, May 18, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sunburned.

 
At 10:36 PM, May 18, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay, it is funny to come home and find this post on the screen of my computer. Glad you could use the house (and you actually found your way here). Tutta Bella was a good choice--a local favorite for pizza (by those who can still eat pizza). Hope the plane ride was restful and uneventful. Hopefully we will see you the next time you are at our house.

love, said Melinda and Chad

 
At 8:15 AM, May 19, 2008, Blogger Josh Fuller said...

Here's to that, M&C.

To finish the story, Toby and Alicia did great. They woke up on the way to the airport and were in great spirits for the fun and exciting middle of the night trip through the airport, and then fell back asleep for the entire flight. Mom and Dad also slept for much of the flight. We are home, safe and sound, and still sleeping at 10AM local time (except for Dad).

 
At 12:27 PM, May 19, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you didn't get sunburned Michelle :-) I can't believe you took the red-eye AND that your kids slept! That's crazy, but good crazy. I do know that you can't check luggage less than 30 min. before the plane leaves. Next time maybe try taking the luggage with you to the gate and when it won't fit they'll have to take it down like they do strollers. I bet that would be a sight to see; two kids, two carseats, your regular carry ons, and three suitcases :-) I'm glad your back safely!

 
At 9:58 PM, May 19, 2008, Blogger brad said...

clever blog title. and for the record, stacy and i have heard of the 30 min rule. in fact, stacy has missed a flight for that before. they told her their computers don't allow them to check anyone in if it's less than 30 min early. glad to hear you're home and that you were able to make lemonade out of the lemons you were handed at the border (it's amazing they allowed you to bring citrus fruits across the border! haha).

 
At 6:37 PM, May 20, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post, I'm glad you made it home ok and that the kids slept.

Actually I am aware of the rule, I think all airlines the world over have something similar. It means the baggage guys have time to sort and load all the bags before take off. That said I was very nearly caught out but it myself once, but the nice airline lady let me take my luggage as carry-on so I was saved.

 
At 7:26 PM, May 20, 2008, Blogger Michelle Fuller said...

Are there other rules in life that I've missed that everyone else knows about? Could I know them now please? Not as if knowing that rule could have helped us catch the flight.

 
At 9:32 PM, May 20, 2008, Blogger Graeme said...

I didn't know about the 30 minute rule but I'm glad to find this out now before traveling this summer! Glad to hear your trip went well and you didn't end up being those parents with the loud kids and the "I'm glad I'm at the back of the plane with all the other young kids" look on your face...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home