What's It Like To Be Here?

For several months now, this blog has been languishing as we post less and less frequently, our lives being overrun by new schedules and obligations. Simultaneously, our Facebook walls are flourishing. It's much quicker and easier to post quick, pithy updates there as interesting (or conspicuously uninteresting) things happen in life, and frankly, it results in way more comments. So if we aren't friends already, be sure to add us.
However, some things just require the scope and gravity of a blog post, and yesterday the Winter Olympics began in my hometown. How many people ever get to say that, within the entire span of their lives? For all our friends in Minnesota and elsewhere around the world, I feel a duty, nay, a moral imperative, to chronicle this event; to convey what it's like; to transport you here as best I can. So read on, dear reader.
In the past few weeks leading up to the Games, the primary mood among Vancouverites has seemed to be skepticism. We had the warmest January on record, and rumours of dry, barren slopes at Cyprus had cynics fearing the worst. Thousands of protesters have been reminding us for months that the city of Vancouver has what some researchers believe to be the largest population of homeless children in North America, not to mention the sad and horrible problems of drug addiction and mental illness that plague the many homeless residents of the downtown and other areas. The out-of-control problem of homelessness in this city is one of its unfortunate but indisputably central facets.
Couple that with a growing number of embarrassingly underfunded schools, then factor in the usual budget problems of any major city, and you start to understand why a significant number of people have felt it strongly necessary to peacefully protest Vancouver's decision to take on billions of dollars in debt in order to host these Games. The money being spent just on security has outgrown the original estimate for the entire Games. The original budget alloted $175 million for security costs; about one billion has now been spent on security alone.
But none of that matters right now. It's finally time; the Games are here. In the last few days the entire city seems to have caught the spirit at last, and the streets are lined with proud, cheering Canadians, as the torch runs by. We took the kids to see it as it passed through White Rock on Tuesday morning, then yesterday it came right by where I work and we all hurried down the stairs to be there to cheer it on. This was the longest 'domestic' torch relay of all time, apparently. Only makes sense, since we have more land to run across than most. Finally, the city is excited and ready to host the greatest sporting event known to man.
Then Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili was killed near the end of his final training run, just hours before the opening ceremonies yesterday.
I can't explain how deeply I was affected by this. I felt anger, sadness, bewilderment and shame. This from a guy who laughed when his family's dog drowned in the backyard pool twenty years ago. I've definitely changed over the years. When I saw the footage of that accident, I wanted everything to stop. I wanted the torch relay to be halted in respect. I wanted the Opening Ceremonies to be postponed. I wanted to know whose job it was to make sure the luge track was safe, and see that person personally apologizing to Kumaritashvili's family on live television. If that job didn't exist, I wanted to see the organizers apologizing to the family that it didn't. Instead we got two grey-haired men looking very sad on TV for five minutes, stammering that this was a tragedy.
We already knew it was a tragedy, but is it only sad, or is it disgraceful and reprehensible? There had already been "several," we are told, previous accidents during training runs. A former gold medalist had wiped out. A Russian competitor had said the track was dangerous, too fast. Was there no one capable of saying that the track should be closed before someone died instead of after? Or how about at least some netting? Maybe even some pads on the steel poles right next to the track? Between 10 AM yesterday and the time the Opening Ceremonies actually began, I couldn't stop these questions from running through my head.
The luge competition will probably not begin tomorrow as scheduled, but I imagine they will still have it. And Kumaritashvili's family and teammates will receive plenty of condolences, but no apologies. It's almost enough to make me want to join the protesters.
But once the Opening Ceremonies got underway, the excitement was undeniable nonetheless. A grand spectacle as it always is, the Vancouver version featured some amazing musicians and dancers, surrounded by a spectacular, constantly evolving set, creating many incredibly memorable scenes and images. I could almost feel proud to be a Vancouver resident again.
And today and for the next 16 days there will be a lot of cool games on TV. Good competition, friendly smiles, exciting and bizarre sports like curling and the biathlon. Everyone knows the summer games are better, but these ones are at least happening less than an hour away from me, and that will be exciting to know as I watch them on TV exactly like I would any other year. I hope you'll be watching too.


3 Comments:
Let's not be too harsh on the Olympic people for the way they responded to Kumaritashvili's fatal luge accident. Many of the events in the Olympics are extremely dangerous, even when all precautions have been taken. An apology to the family from the IOC or whoever may have been warranted if the death was the result of negligence or bad engineering, but it turns out the investigation showed that the accident wasn't caused by the track, but by human error. I.e. Kumaritashvili made a mistake it a turn and he couldn't correct it. I saw an interview with another luge competitor who said luge accidents happen, but it's unheard of for the athlete to actually fly out of the track. Sounds like that's never happened before. Who could've predicted that would happen? Kumaritashvili was willingly competing in a dangerous sport. I don't think anyone owes anyone an apology. It was tragic, but it was an accident.
http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/luge/story/2010/02/13/sp-luge-probe.html
Um, yeah. I don't think I can respond to that any better than this guy already did.
Oh come on. It's a dangerous sport. Of course it's a faster more dangerous track than older ones. They always are. All sports are constantly pushing the limits of what they've done in the past. It used to be against the rules to do "inverted aerials" (go upside down) in snowboard half-pipe competitions. Now they're doing double back flips and half-pipes are getting bigger and bigger so riders can go faster and higher. But if a snowboarder dies because he lost control and landed on his head it doesn't mean the half-pipe was too big or too steep.
When they're going 140-150 kms/hr of course there's a risk of crashing, and when that happens it happens in a split second. The point is, in 5,000 runs on that track over the past 2 years, there were no fatalities. Lots of crashes, sure, but every dangerous sport has lots of crashes. Now as soon as there's one death - a freak accident no one could've predicted (that's is to say, if he'd stayed inside the track when he crashed, like every other person who's crashed in it, he'd still be alive and no one would be making a big deal about this right now) - people point fingers at the Olympic committee, like it's their fault. People die every year at Whistler, but no one says they should shut down the mountain because it's dangerous. Of course it's dangerous. People who ride there know that, accept the risk and do it anyway. All the more so with really really fast Olympic sports where athletes wear very little protection.
Post a Comment
<< Home