Air Travel with the Wee
We just had two highly successful flights. As a way to brag about what good plane travelers we are, I offer my advice. Do add your own tricks.
Bringing Alicia's car seat on the plane was the best decision ever. You see, she's used to sitting in it. She's used to the idea that when she sits in it, she doesn't get to get out. And, it was our best shot at getting her to fall asleep on the plane. She didn't sleep on the way there, but she slept on the way back for about an hour. Yes! To get the darn heavy thing on the plane, we brought our big double stroller to the airport. The thing doesn't even fit in our car so we had to borrow a van. Alicia went in the front, the car seat went in the second seat, and Toby had to walk (which he does very well).
On the way home I was flying alone with the kids. I stopped at the information booth and requested assistance getting through security. Fabulous move! We zipped through there faster than ever. My main concern with security was Alicia bolting. An anonymous man took care of all our stuff and I had my eyes to keep on Alicia. To get on the plane, I gave the car seat to the people at the plane desk and they put it on the plane before anyone started to board. We boarded the plane last. No reason to strap in before you need to.
Snacks are a must. We fly enough that the kids know to expect the same snacks each time. We always freeze yogurt tubes to bring. They are less than the 3oz security maximum and we never have them but on a plane, so they are a special treat. Broccoli travels well too, but I'm the only one who will eat it on a plane.
Two-year-olds are tough to entertain. I took three large zip lock bags and put 3-4 stupid toys in each. Plastic figures, small doodle-pro-type-thing, McDonald's toys, that type of thing. When Alicia (or Toby) got tired of one bag, I took out the next. And having these things in zip locks made it easier to find in the backpack. Another zip lock had large beads to string. It's tough for Alicia yet, but with help it keeps her busy. Then there were 600 stickers from the dollar aisle at Target to stick on paper. Fun pens for the paper. New books, favorite books, either paperback or super small.
For Toby, there were a couple cards to lace. There was a new maze book. I bought a very nice one, took a transparency from school, put it on the page, and had Toby use dry erase markers (not transparency markers!). Dry erase markers will wipe right off with a kleenex, for endlessly repeatable maze fun! Good times. Toby is an expert at mazes for his age, I would say. I also brought It's a Match from Discovery Toys. That's a good one. Then of course he enjoyed Alicia's toys too.
So it was good stuff. I don't really have a great trick for helping one child go to the bathroom when you have two on the plane, but I made use of the off-duty flight attendant flying along in the jump seat.
Then, as we were waiting to get off the plane, I was looking for someone who might be willing to carry the car seat for me while I herded my two little ones and carried off the carry-on. There was a man coming up the aisle who looked buff and wasn't carrying a thing. I was about to ask him when I noticed that his hands were handcuffed and chained to his waist. I figured that would make the task difficult for him.
And how could I forget? We finally made it to baggage claim to find one piece of our luggage excessively damaged. As in, one edge along the top and heading down the side was entirely cracked open. I stood in that back corner line and ended up receiving a brand new piece of luggage on the spot. I wanted to post a picture of the damaged one, but they kept it. Sorry.
So now the next time you travel with the young and the restless, you'll be better prepared. How will you ever thank me? I'm sure you'll think of something.


4 Comments:
I take no credit for anything witty in this post, beyond any credit due me for marrying the right man.
We fly with small kids a lot too, and it's SO true that the right snacks are an absolute necessity. The carseat issue is specific to the child... we've never traveled by air with a carseat for either child, and I know that's been the right move for us. Other good plane distractions: glow bracelets ($1 at Michael's), plastic Easter eggs hiding small toys that we already owned, and one new book per person!
Alicia happens to have great love for her car seat, but I do know kids who hate theirs. I suppose that'd be bad, wouldn't it.
I could have used a few of these tips the last time we flew. We traved to WA to spend time with Ben's family after a grandparent passed away and opted to only bring the two youngest kids. ONLY TWO!!! It should have been easy! Granted, they were both younger than your own and I am guessing that the 5 month old would have choked on the beads- but it may have literally been the longest six hours of my life.
Post a Comment
<< Home