The good news is I've been too busy to blog. The bad news is that I've also not really wanted to be honest about how hard it is to be here sometimes. I'm not sure where to go from there.
The newest news of the day is that I am now a very unproud owner of a Mazda MPV. That's a minivan. And in Canada, the first 'a' in Mazda sounds like the 'a' in 'apple'. But that's not really the problem I have with this minivan. I've just never wanted such a large vehicle. Our Toyota Echo is the car-love of my life. Lately, I'm particularly poor at embracing things that I'm not in favor of. We decided to buy one because I have the privilege of caring for my baby niece this school year. Then there might just be friends to bring home from school (both kindergarten and preschool will require driving). So. There's a minivan on the street and it's ours.
It's possible that we've found a church too; but again, I feel reluctant to dive into things. First, let's recount a few characteristics of the two churches of our marriage. #1. Very progressive. Trying to find new ways to do everything. Only original music is played. Highly transitive population. Very cool, brand-name-coffee-drinking people. #2. Mega church. 600 kids per weekend. Polished, podcasted sermons. Professional quality music, complete with former Christian rock star worship leader. Both church #1 & 2 are open to both liberals and conservatives. Possible church #3? 30 adults representing a range in ages. Very friendly, genuine people who bring their Bibles. Awful music; pitch and tempo are open to the fastest bidder. But those 30 people are really singing! Northwestern-College-style prayer requests are taken and prayed for popcorn-style during the service. Last week's sermon was a Bible study of Psalm 1 led by a missionary home from a country famous for its large black cube. We huddled into groups to answer the questions. There will be prayer meetings the next 3 Sunday evenings. Oddly enough, both Josh and I are similarly in favor of joining this church. We haven't even asked any theological questions. Somehow we don't care.
In other news, I have made a few friends. I don't know what else to say about that. I haven't found many friends the right ages and sexes for Toby and Alicia yet, but in two weeks that should be taken care of. Schools will start and our new life will begin in earnest. (And in Ernest's house, no less.)


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home